Blueberry melomel secondary ferm. Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeyinwolfsuit

Reaction score
So I just secondary racked my 1 gallon blueberry mead for the second time. I started with some trader joes freeze dried blueberries and about 2.8 pounds of blueberry blossom local honey. O.G was at 1.08 after 2 weeks I racked it over onto about 1lbs of frozen blueberries. Had plenty of overflow from the berries. I waited about about a week then racked it over to another carboy s.g was 1.04 no berries this time, but I topped the mead off with 100% blueberry juice. 36 hours later getting very little airlock activity, did I rack too soon? Also I used white labs sweet mead yeast.

Well it is too soon to say. Wait 3 days and check gravity again. Wait another 3-4 days and check gravity again. If the gravity does not change then you have a stuck ferment. Wyeast Sweet mead yeast has a bad habit of sticking.

I normally do not rack a mead until fermentation is absolutely complete and the mead is cleared up mostly.

If the mead is stuck then you need to try and restart with another yeast most likely. That will also need a proper starter to get going too.

I hope your yeast is still working but just slow. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply :),

Got home today to find it slowly picking back up again, there a quite a few bubbles resting on top though kind of like a layer I haven't seen this before.

I have a ginger mead with Lalvin K1-v1116 that was actually a pretty low nutrient must and is 2 months into primary with that thin layer of bubbles with visible tiny bubbles coming up the sides of the Carboy. What you are seeing is not unheard of. Just leave it alone for a few weeks until bubbles stop again and see where the gravity is then.

Latest posts

Back