New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > blueberry mead

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 12:59 PM   #11
Meadrol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Oh yeah, adding more blueberries into secondary is crucial if you want any blueberry taste to it; the ferment will blow the aroma and flavors right out of the airlock; freezing and thawing the fruit (not sure on the hows and whys of this) changes the structure of the fruit so that more of the flavor extracts out. In secondary, what I do is buy some knee high nylons, soak them in sanitizer, put the thawed berries in one (do this over a bowl to catch juice) then crush them a little bit with my hands so the must can get at the good stuff inside then stuff the nylon (after knotting the end of it) into the carboy and pour the juice you caught in the bowl from crushing in as well. This'll give you some blueberry flavor and help the color tremendously too.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2012, 01:04 PM   #12
Meadrol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budzien View Post
LMFAO! The tube got clogged and the mead geysered out the top. Blueberries actually hit, and stuck, to the top of the cabinet. I think enough blew out to stop a second explosion. Will have to wait and see.
Well, guess it's safe to say your ferment kicked in! There's a good reason for the nylon right there; you wouldn't have berries clogging up your tube! I'd suggest getting one of those 6.5 gallon ferment buckets for your next one, even if it's only a gallon you're doing. One, it helps with aerating til the 1/3 sugar break ... just throw a sanitized towel over the mouth of the bucket; two, you won't have geysering going on like you just experienced, and three, it's a heck of a lot easier to remove your fruit filled nylon when you go to rack to secondary. Once you hit the 1/3 or 2/3 sugar break (depends on who you talk to), take off the towel, slap on the lid with the airlock and wait out the rest of the ferment.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Newest Threads