Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > blueberry mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2012, 01:32 AM   #1
Budzien
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default blueberry mead

I bought a one gallon fermenter, a rubber stopper, and an airlock. I have 3lbs of local Colorado honey and a can of Oregon blueberries in light syrup. I'm hoping to make an awesome blueberry mead. Any thoughts? Had anyone every tried this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2012, 05:30 PM   #2
Budzien
Recipes 

Well, anyways... I put it all together. I got an OG of 1.122. I'll let you know in about a year how it turns out...

Old 07-15-2012, 06:59 PM   #3
WineIsRed
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've been thinking of doing blueberry mead - blueberries seem to be in season and Costco has tons of them...

It would be easier to have input if we knew more about the process you're using.

With an OG of 1.122, it depends a lot on your yeast and procedure on how dry it's going to turn out. Normally I'd expect most yeasts to chew through all of that and leave you with a very dry FG.... but depending on which yeast you use, and if you don't aerate much or add any nutrient (I don't know if blueberries have much natural nutrient), then it might end up sweeter.

Good luck!

Old 07-15-2012, 07:08 PM   #4
Budzien
Recipes 

Added the 3# honey, the can of Oregon blueberries, yeast nutrients, yeast energizer, and Lavlin D 47 to a one gallon jug. Capped it and shook the hell outta it for a good 5 minutes. Then I put an airlock on and set it in the back of the brew cabinet.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
WineIsRed
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budzien View Post
Added the 3# honey, the can of Oregon blueberries, yeast nutrients, yeast energizer, and Lavlin D 47 to a one gallon jug. Capped it and shook the hell outta it for a good 5 minutes. Then I put an airlock on and set it in the back of the brew cabinet.
Sounds good. I don't have any experience with D47, but I know many people here think it's a great yeast.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:35 PM   #6
Meadrol
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 17

You might want to replace that airlock with a blowoff tube; a lot of folks on here find out the hard way when making a melomel for the first time that there can be a rather volcanic reaction once the ferment starts...and I mean blueberries all over the ceiling, walls and floor. Also, take care that your must doesn't go over about 68 degrees with D47, or you will have a "rocketfuel" taste to your mead that may or may not age out. The fermentation process itself can add 8 to 10 degrees over and above the room temp, so you may want to put a wet towel over your fermenter and put a fan on it.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:38 PM   #7
Budzien
Recipes 

What's funny about that is I just got done cleaning up a filled and blown off airlock... it wasn't terrible, but it's not done yet, either...

Old 07-15-2012, 11:57 PM   #8
Budzien
Recipes 

That could've been bad... Glad I got the blow off tube on

forumrunner_20120715_165635.jpg

Old 07-16-2012, 03:08 AM   #9
Budzien
Recipes 

LMFAO! The tube got clogged and the mead geysered out the top. Blueberries actually hit, and stuck, to the top of the cabinet. I think enough blew out to stop a second explosion. Will have to wait and see.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:19 AM   #10
MrSweet
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

my blueberry batch developed a similar krausen (foam) but never showed any signs of volatility thankfully.. I also used D47. I guess I got lucky that my ferment didnt produce any off flavors since my ferment temp was 72*

I asked about capturing some blueberry flavor in the aged end product in a different thread and people suggested throwing in some blueberries in with some pectolase in the secondary after racking it off the lees/sediments.

They suggest freezing and thawing the fruit first though . I put some in my primary because I wanted a strong color too. Once it clarifies a bit, I am going to rack it onto some new fruit and I hope it gives it a good blueberry flavor and nose.

Happy brewing!

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS