My brother and I made a Blueberry Mead (our first mead ever).
It was GREAT. I'll have to check the brew log book for amounts of this and that.
It was a 5 gallon batch.
I had a 1/2 of a 1 gallon ziplock bag filled with fresh blueberries that we hand picked of off my Grandpa's Blueberry bushes. I Froze them in the freezer, thawed them out and froze them agian.
We did a full volume boil.
Near the end we dumped in the bag of frozen blueberries.
Using the very large mash pattle, I smashed the berries on the inside of the kettle wall.
I believe I may still have a few bottles of it stashed some where.
It was a light pink color. Absolutly clear. I recall having to add more honey after several months of fermentation to remove some of the dryness.
(did I mention it packed quite a punch?)
**now that I think about it, after several months of fermentation, after activity more or less stopped, I may have ran it throught a plate filter before adding the additional honey to make it less dry and more sweet. It had so much alcohol at that point, contamination wassnt a real concern.
Out of the people that sampled it, the only ones that did not care for it where those that prefered a dry wine. go figure...
I took some up to a local brewery and one of the brew masters commented on the difficulty of working with the blueberry (flavor).
(I just smashed the flavor out, lol, being our first mead, we had nothing to compair it to.)
I have loaded up on blueberrys over the summer, I have several bags in the freezer just waiting to become mead. (A good winter project).
Once I dig up the page in the brew log, I can post what I put in it.