Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > blood orange mead??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2010, 03:16 PM   #11
vespa2t
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
making 1-gallon batches of experimental mead is a great way to get into the hobby and try new recipes.

It's not like you drink tons of mead at a a sitting, so it's worth it to do a small batch
Man, I have 4 one gallon batches of different things going right now. All experimental Mead/Braggots/ciders. 1 gal is the way to go for experimentation. When I figure out something that works, I make 5 gallons. I have had a bunch of 1 gallong batches that were 'ok' and was glad to have only spent $5-10 on them instead of $50+

-Paul O.
Vintage Vespa, Classic Mini Cooper, and Fermentation. Thats my life.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2010, 08:07 AM   #12
TheRabidKumquat
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I've got a 2 gallon batch of blood orange JAO sitting in bulk from January of last year. It is a beautiful orange color. Didn't retain any of the pinkish hue I'd hoped for.

Are you going to add the vanilla to secondary, or primary? I think you'd have better luck w/ it in secondary. You might lose some of the aroma if in primary, and the alcohol would help extract the flavors a bit better.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:34 PM   #13
KCPyrate
Recipes 

I made a blood orange sweet mead with Wyeast sweet mead yeast & it turned out great... I had hoped to retain some of the deep color but it fermented to a very clear golden hue.

I also agree that one gallon batches are the way to go to test out new recipes or more expensive ingredients.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:17 PM   #14
flyweed
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Ok...just an update...I've changed the recipe just a bit from the O.P.

3 pounds of Orange blossom honey
2 blood oranges squeezed, and zested
1 stick cinnamon
1 vanilla bean
2 tsp mulling spices steeped in 2 cups hot water for 20 minutes
D47 yeast

I steeped the mulling spices in a fine mesh grain bag..then poured that into a 1 gallon carboy. added the juice from the two squeezed blood oranges and zest from one of the blood oranges. Poured the 3 pounds of honey in and shook the carboy until the honey was well dissolved into the water. I put in my cinnamon stick, vanilla bean and topped up with cold water. rehydrated D47 as per packet instructions (104F for 15 minutes)..then inoculated the must..swirled a few seconds, and then put on the airlock.

S.G. 1.130......temp 73F

I was surprised that it really has already lost all of the pinkish red color the oranges put in..now it's a golden color. it is bubbling away like mad already.

Dan

On Tap: Blackberry Blonde Ale
On Tap: Apple/Cherry Hard Cider

Old 01-19-2010, 01:29 AM   #15
LightningInABottle
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My SWMBO said to me that these blood oranges that she had just bought would taste good in a mead... That reminded me of this thread! I have my orange blossom honey ordered and was planning on using mulling spices instead of the chinese 5 spice. Right now I am planning on using B71 yeast due to its acid tollerence, but I may use D47 for its EVC.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:36 AM   #16
LightningInABottle
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I ended up going with 71b-1122. Here is the final recipe.

3 squeezed blood oranges (they were very small) which gave just over 1/2 cup of orange juice.
44oz of orange blossom honey
2 tea bags of mulling spice included with Chaucers Orange Blossom Mead
I boiled them and let cool to almost room temp
I put the spice tea in a gallon jug and then put the juice in after. Then I added honey. I shook the jug up and then added the 71b. After pitching I shook for 5 minutes then placed an air lock on it full of vodka.

Before pitching
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/.../Xmass_050.jpg

The mulling spice was cinnamon, orange peel and clove with other spices not listed. I withheld the cinnamon sticks and am saving 1/2 a vanilla bean for the secondary.

5 hours after pitching the airlock is blood red. Considering it is filled with vodka I make take the shot and just fill it up again...

Old 02-14-2010, 05:29 PM   #17
LightningInABottle
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default The BOM!

I racked it on the 6th and gravity was at .96 and it has been clearing for one week. This is the result

It taste very good for it's age. My plan is to let it clear another week or two then prime and bottle into Grolsh bottles.

I plan on using OB honey to prime. I have seen 5/8 cup used for a 5 gallon batch in another recipe. So I am thinking 1/8 cup for a gallon batch. I will take gravity reading before bottleing and if it is over 1.006 then I will have to let it sit. I'm not trying to make BOM bottle bombs. Do you think this is safe. Has anybody else primed with honey. I don't mind waiting a few months for it to be carbed.

A 6 gallon batch of this is going to be my next brew.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:41 AM   #18
jim_reaper1066
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Last month i put on 2 1 gal batches of JAOM at the same time. Everything was identical except for the oranges, one used a large naval orange and the other a blood orange. The naval batch cleared faster and has a lighter color. The blood batch is only now starting to clear, and has a darker brownish tinge. Just though it was interesting the clearing between the two orange types.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:27 AM   #19
LightningInABottle
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Try your next batch of orange mead with out putting the whole orange in. Juice it and use the juice only.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:20 PM   #20
flyweed
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Looks good Lightning...mine is pretty clear as well...I am going to be bottling it this weekend. I haven't tasted it at all yet, but am hoping for some very good stuff.

On Tap: Blackberry Blonde Ale
On Tap: Apple/Cherry Hard Cider

Quick Reply