The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > blood orange mead??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2010, 12:13 AM   #1
flyweed
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default blood orange mead??

I think I came up with a nice recipe in my head I am going to try with a 1 gallon test batch.

This is a Blood Orange Mead

3 1/2 pounds of Orange blossom honey
2 blood oranges squeezed, and zested
1 stick cinnamon
1 vanilla bean
1/4 tsp of Chinese 5 spice
3068 yeast

mix all ingredients and water to 1 gallon. add DAP and goFerm as per instructions. Let set til clear.

What ya guys think?

On Tap: Blackberry Blonde Ale
On Tap: Apple/Cherry Hard Cider

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2010, 12:24 AM   #2
rustang64
Recipes 

Never done a citrus mead so cant speak to the recipe but the blood oranges will make for a neat color. I grew up on citrus groves and I definitely miss having those available. As for the orange blossom honey, I got some when I was down there last month and would say its way too tasty for mead... but then again it might make an awesome mead.
Anyways, would love to hear how it turns out.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:36 AM   #3
flyweed
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I've used orange blossom honey in a couple of meads, and I love the flavor it gives. Yeah, since citrus fruit is "in peak" right now with tangerines, mandarines, blood oranges etc etc..I thought I'd give a blood orange recipe a try, and primarily chose the blood orange for the color, but also has a sweeter taste than a navel or cara cara orange

Dan

Old 01-15-2010, 12:52 AM   #4
MedsenFey
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Orange blossom honey makes terrific mead with a distinct aroma and flavor, and it works well in citrus melomels. Blood oranges are good, but I'm surprised you find them sweeter. I've always found them to have a somewhat bitter, grapefruit-like character; not bad mind you, just different.

If you use this yeast with the 3.5 pounds of honey, you should end up with a very sweet result. I take it that's what you are aiming for. If so, you might potentially need the juice of another orange or two to balance it - but you can decide that later after tasting it in the secondary.

I'm not sure I'd throw all those spices into the mix, as I've found that citrus melomels can be wonderful without added spices, but if you like them, they may help balance all the residual sugar.

I'll look forward to hearing how it turns out.

Medsen

Old 01-15-2010, 03:23 AM   #5
CandleWineProject
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Never made a mead, but from what this forum talks about, it takes a really long time. To wait to see how one gallon turns out...

Old 01-15-2010, 03:29 AM   #6
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5976 Times on 5247 Posts
Likes Given: 670

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandleWineProject View Post
Never made a mead, but from what this forum talks about, it takes a really long time. To wait to see how one gallon turns out...
making 1-gallon batches of experimental mead is a great way to get into the hobby and try new recipes.

It's not like you drink tons of mead at a a sitting, so it's worth it to do a small batch....

Although, I'm surprised that Dan didn't go for a full five gallon batch right away on this recipe - sounds great!

Old 01-15-2010, 03:43 AM   #7
CandleWineProject
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
making 1-gallon batches of experimental mead is a great way to get into the hobby and try new recipes.

It's not like you drink tons of mead at a a sitting, so it's worth it to do a small batch....
Oh, I love brewing in gallons, but I thought mead took a good year before it was ready, so it would be awhile before the 5 gallons were done up and drinkable. Or, because it is a gallon, can it be done on a shorter timeline?

I guess I'm highjacking the thread. sorry

Old 01-15-2010, 06:31 AM   #8
1Brotherbill
Recipes 

Basically what is Chinease 5 Spice anyway? Everything else I know it's the Chinease 5 Spice that I'm wondering about. Outside of that sounds tasty.

Ok thanks google. Sounds like Chinease 5 Spice is a mix of Cinnimon, Cloves, Anise, Ginger and Fennel. There is also multiple versions. So basically this is a JAOM with blood oranges and no bread yeast.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:58 AM   #9
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 678 Times on 481 Posts
Likes Given: 1669

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyweed View Post
I think I came up with a nice recipe in my head I am going to try with a 1 gallon test batch.

This is a Blood Orange Mead

3 1/2 pounds of Orange blossom honey
2 blood oranges squeezed, and zested
1 stick cinnamon
1 vanilla bean
1/4 tsp of Chinese 5 spice
3068 yeast

mix all ingredients and water to 1 gallon. add DAP and goFerm as per instructions. Let set til clear.

What ya guys think?
I'd refrain from using powdered spices simply because it's tough, if not impossible to remove them. With whole/cracked spices you can remove them once the flavour profile has been reached. Some powdered spices make a mucilanginous mess too. You might make a sort of extract from the 5 spice, or maybe a teabag. You could also use whole/cracked spices & formulate your own version of 5 spice.

Five spice contains cinnamon, so you might not need more cinnamon on top of that. I think I'd also save all the spice & fruit for secondary, or even tertiary; this would allow you to use less & get more flavour from them all. Everything else sounds good to me. Regards, GF.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:43 PM   #10
flyweed
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Yeah AZA..I have thought about just going 5 gallons, but I wanted to do a small batch first and see how things turn out. If it's good I'll go BIG!! I am indeed using the 3068 to keep it sweet, and am using the blood orange to balance out that sweetness with some orange tartness/acid. It should be a good balance.

That's true about the Chinese 5 spice too...I may just go with the whole cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and a slice of ginger etc rather than putting in a powdered spice mix.

Quick Reply