The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Blackberry Bochet

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2013, 08:36 AM   #21
xpionage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You can, just in a difrent way. Cook it 1h and see how it is, if its not the color that you want cook it for another hour and so on.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #22
SouthernGorilla
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I'm not concerned about color. But I suppose it would be possible to cook it for an hour then let it cool enough to taste it. Then repeat as necessary. That seems like a lot of unnecessary work when I can get the right flavor in twenty minutes on the stove.

My blackberry seems to be smoothing back out since I removed the fruit. It has much less of an acid smell to it today. But I still don't get any of the "pastry" smells like it had before I pitched the yeast. Maybe next time I'll use more of the cooked honey or cook it darker.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #23
xpionage
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think the stove pot method is better and faster but for me the pressure cooker is better because I don't have a pot big enough to manage the volume of the burning hot honey, maybe I need to go shopping lol.
The smell in mine almost faded away, it had a very nice honey smell in the first week.
I didn't put any fruit inside the jug, I cooked the blackberries with some water and blended them, straining everything with sterilized gauze in the funnel but I still have something in the jug, its like a jelly.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:25 PM   #24
SouthernGorilla
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You could have cooked the honey in the pressure cooker without the lid on. At least my pressure cooker also works as a regular pot if needed.

I like the idea of mashing the berries instead of putting them in the fermenter. I'll definitely try that next time. I imagine what you have in your jug right now is basically jelly. I'm pretty sure jelly is made by boiling down the fruit.

When mine gets closer to finished I'll cook some more honey to add. I want the finished product to have that same delicious smell it had in the beginning.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:50 AM   #25
SouthernGorilla
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Tested the SG this morning while I was stirring the must. It's down to 1.064 in only five days. This EC-1118 lives up to Lalvin's claim of it being a fast fermenter. It started out somewhere above 1.110.

Sadly, it tastes rather grape-like.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:41 PM   #26
WVMJ
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 21

You dont have to watch the pressure cooked honey, its done and dark in about an hour. The thing about checking the color while you are cooking it is the color tells you what amount of caramelization you are getting, just dabb a little from a spoon onto a clean white plate. As it gets darker you can cool it on the spoon and taste it, you dont have to let the whole batch cool because it might get thick and you would have to add water to get it cooking again and that would be a big waste of time. They are different methods with different results, if you get a good result in 20 minutes on the stove top while others go 90 minutes for theirs everyone is right, its your mead. WVMJ

Old 05-09-2013, 02:00 AM   #27
SouthernGorilla
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm not attacking anybody's technique. I'm only trying to understand the different approaches so I can polish my own technique. Mainly I'm always looking for a way to get consistently reproducible results. If I can get the aroma and taste I want by using my pressure cooker then I'll use it. I'll have to experiment.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:16 PM   #28
xpionage
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Racked mine today and added bentonite i didn't had at the start of fermentation

S.G:1.013

Old 05-18-2013, 06:17 PM   #29
SouthernGorilla
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Nice color!

I tested mine and got an SG of 1.010. I'm going to check it again in a couple days to see if it has stoped.

If by "sanitized" you mean "rinsed under hot water and glared at sternly" then, yes, I sanitized my equipment.

Old 05-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #30
WVMJ
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 21

SG, no problem, I am trying to do the same thing. But, with honey, like grapes, its a little different every year depending on the weather etc. If only I had a big old autoclave I would fill up a bunch of gallon jugs and cook them until black and start selling it! WVMJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGorilla View Post
I'm not attacking anybody's technique. I'm only trying to understand the different approaches so I can polish my own technique. Mainly I'm always looking for a way to get consistently reproducible results. If I can get the aroma and taste I want by using my pressure cooker then I'll use it. I'll have to experiment.

Quick Reply