The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Blackberry Bochet

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
xpionage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Blackberry Bochet

I think I'm going to give this a go tomorrow. Never made a bochet but I read in fatbloke blog that he cooked the honey in a pressure cooker and I think I'm going to try that too .

Recipe:
1.5 Kg Honey (cooked in the pressure cooker)
900 grams of blackberries
water to 5L
Lalvin D-47

What do you guys think

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
xpionage
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Today was the day to try and make a bochet

Got up early to cook the honey in the pressure cooker and the end result was this:

I cooked it for 2 hours.

4 hours later(after the honey was cold) I warmed about 2L of water and thawed the blackberries, mashed them and add them to the jug.

S.G. of the water + blackberries 1.010.
Added the honey to the jug and add the rest of the water and took a gravity reading, S.G. 1.120, good for a sweet wine like I pretended.

The fermentation started about 1H after pitching the yeast.

Happy brews

Old 04-29-2013, 02:33 AM   #3
Hrahn1995
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

update us. i love this idea, i will have to try it in blackberry season!

Bright fruitless orchards
Brown sun catchers drift along
Sippin’ hard cider

Old 04-29-2013, 12:31 PM   #4
xpionage
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrahn1995
update us. i love this idea, i will have to try it in blackberry season!
Im really looking forward to this batch, i hope this one is the one im going to brew every year

Old 04-29-2013, 01:05 PM   #5
MarshmallowBlue
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Looks awesome! This should be a very tasty one.

Lifetime goal: 7,777 gallons --- gallons made 44
My Home Brew Blog
My Home-brewing Pinterest < It's a beautiful thing.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:11 AM   #6
SouthernGorilla
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 26

What a coincidence. I just finished cooking the honey for my own blackberry bochet a few minutes ago. I'm letting it cool before pouring it into the primary jug.

I did it a little different. I used a pound of raw honey, a pound of dark "roast" honey, and a pound of medium "roast" honey. The difference in the flavor of the three different "roasts" of honey is huge. Of course the raw tastes like raw honey. The darker of the reduced honeys tastes very much like toasted marshmallows while the lighter reduced honey has a caramel flavor. The cooked honeys also have a red color to them.

There's just over a pound of blackberries. I don't know how well they will carry through. I may end up adding more at some point if there's room in the jug. I did add pectic enzyme to extract more flavor from the berries.

The brew store my wife visited for the yeast was out of the White Labs WLP720 sweet mead yeast that I wanted to use. They guy (wrongly, I think) sold her Lalvin EC-1118 as a substitute. The two yeasts have completely different characteristics. So we'll see how it goes.

I'm curious about cooking the honey in the pressure cooker. What is the advantage supposed to be? Other than not splashing yourself with scalding honey. I might try that next time.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:30 AM   #7
WVMJ
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 21

In all the posts about Bochet we have read it seemed to take a long time to get the honey to burn, they always made a big deal out of the last step about adding water to it at the end and being careful you didnt splash it up and burn yourself, and if you went to far in burning it a bitter smokey taste could show up that takes a long time to age out.

Many years ago we made caramel using sweetened condensed milk put in a big pot of boiling water, you were not supposed to let the water level drop below the top of the lid or bad things would happen (I never found out what bad things as I watched it like a hawk). I got to thinking there has to be a better way. I had a pressure cooker. I dropped them into the cooker, fired it up, timed it for an hour, cooled it, the cans did not explode as some people predicted who dont know how pressure cookers work, and we made perfect caramel doing it that way.

After I read about people making Bochet I was like man I dont have a huge pot to burn it off in, I dont like to have to watch things cook for hours and then guess when they are dont, and I dont want too much smokey flavor that takes years to age out. I thought why not try to pressure cooker again. In about an hour timed when the jiggly thing starts to move on top is all it took for the mead to caramelize. The advantages are no over burning the honey, the water stays in so you dont have to add water to get the honey to flow again, the canning jars we used sealed so it would keep them sterile for as long as we needed which makes it nice to store some to use for backsweetening.

Is the flavor different from stovetop burn honey? Probably doesnt have as much toasted marshmallow flavors but certainly is full of caramel flavor. Other folks have used crock pots and we tried that to and it also works well just that our crock pot can only do a quart or 2 at a time. We also used a big 22 quart pressure canner that does 7 quarts at a time and that was very good also. I got a jet burner but no big pot, I am not sure the adventure of actually cooking it over a flame is worth getting burnt but people fry turkeys and dont all get hurt so we might have to give it a try, just wait until it gets to cold for the bees to fly out and find us!

WVMJ

Old 05-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #8
SouthernGorilla
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So you pressure cooked the honey while it was in jars? I'm just trying to understand exactly what you did so I can try it myself to compare.

I cooked my honey on the electric stove in a medium saucepan. I was only doing a pound at a time so I didn't need a lot of space. The darker honey has a lot of toasted marshmallow flavor. The house smelled like toasted marshmallows for hours afterwards. So I don't think the method of cooking has any serious impact on the flavor. I do think the stovetop limits the quantity you can cook. If I were to try and fill my 6.5-gallon carboy with a bochet I think I'd have to get a turkey frier setup to cook the honey. There's just no way to cook twenty pounds of honey safely on the stove. It would boil over in any pot small enough to sit on the stove. But it only took less than twenty minutes to get a pound of honey to the toasted marshmallow stage. It would have taken longer than that just to get a fire going outside.

My biggest concern is reproducibility. If this bochet turns out as nice as I think it will I want to be able to duplicate it in a bigger batch.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:46 PM   #9
xpionage
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yes, i just putted the jars inside the pan and added water to almost the top of the jars, not covering completely.

I didnt cooked it enough time to make it really dark but i think it depends on the pressure cooker, WVMJ obtained a black honey within 2 hours of cooking and i only got that redish color.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #10
SouthernGorilla
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The honey I used started out much darker. I think that shows in the appearance of the must. This is right after the Great Eruption that left much of my kitchen covered in blackberry.

blackberry bochet by SouthernGorilla, on Flickr

I'm about to caramelize a pound or so of generic honey for our next batch. It isn't enough to worry about setting up the pressure cooker. But I am thinking of trying that when we start the 6.5-gallon ginger metheglin. It would be much easier to manage the honey in jars instead of one twenty-pound lump.

Quick Reply