Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Best yeast for mead and why?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2009, 09:54 PM   #1
cabledawg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Best yeast for mead and why?

I hope all the great mead minds respond to this question. With all the yeast people use with a basic mead( basic mead means nothing fancy just honey and water with a few spices and fruit additions). I would like to see what yeast people use,do you like dry or vials and what was the outcome of the mead. Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2009, 10:42 PM   #2
wayneb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Your definition of "basic" is too broad. Depending on which fruit or spice additions, or in fact whether or not I use any adjuncts, I would pick different yeasts.

That said, I tend to use active dry wine yeasts rather than vials or smack-packs of liquids. The wine yeast guys at lallemand and lesaffre (Red Star) have their strains pretty well down.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:58 PM   #3
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Lalvin D-47! Why, because, after researching online and making a list of potential good mead yeasts, that's what they had at the store. So, that's the one I bought! Since I have made only two batches, both using D-47, I have absolutely NO basis for comparison!

Old 09-11-2009, 01:08 AM   #4
jamesnsw
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I was at Redstone Meadery on Labor Day, and they use Montrachet for their sparkling meads, and one that starts with an F for the other ones.

I think if you're going for a wine-type drink, use wine yeast. If you want a beer-type yeast, use an ale yeast

Some stuff I've made: Odell's 90 Shilling Clone, Abbey Weiss Pottsville Common, Simple Mead, Dry Dock Apricot Blonde Clone, Rye IPA, Maibock, Scrapper's Quaffable Irish Red, Short Sleep Blueberry Ale, Lazy Magnolia Pecan Nut Brown Ale Clone, Graff, Apfelwein, Cascades Orange Pale, Orfy's Mild Ale, Vagabond Gingered Ale
What to Brew for iOS (free)

Old 09-11-2009, 01:45 AM   #5
SmokeMonkey
Recipes 

i'm gonna piggy back on this thread rather than making my own thread about this. i hope you dont mind.

i want to make mead, one just plain, a small batch (maybe 1 gallon), just honey and water, nothing fancy. the second i want to use blueberries i'll be growing myself. again just water and honey but with blueberries thrown in but in a 5 gallon batch.

now i've been reading from mead makers on forums specifically for mead making and i'm thinking i want to use a dry mead type yeast, a wine yeast or a champagne yeast. i do not want a sweet mead. if i can get enough bottles, i may consider making it sparkling, half of the batch if i can.

whats a good yeast for this type of application? i want something with kick, hence going with a dry mead type yeast.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:30 AM   #6
summersolstice
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

I've posted this link many times on this forum but it never hurts to post it again. The Lallemand Yeast Chart will allow you to look for the characterisitcs you want in the type of mead or wine you're making. Of these active dry yeasts, the following are most likely to be found at your LHBS and all have been used to make great meads, when the individual yeast's requirements (temperature and nutrient) have been met:

ICV-D47™
Lalvin 71B®
Lalvin EC1118™
Lalvin Bourgorouge RC212®
Lalvin V1116 (K1)™

Old 09-11-2009, 04:18 PM   #7
ruger12pk
Recipes 

If you want to make a real dry blueberry without sweetness (why?) id go with 12 pounds of honey and 5 pounds of blueberries...Then use some KV-1116 or 1118 yeast to take it out to the dryness you want. I usually use about 18 pounds of honey make a typical "show mead" and then rack it onto the blueberries in a brew bag into my secondary for a few days but I like it sweeter than you do.

"I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, I love only that which they defend.”

Old 09-11-2009, 06:59 PM   #8
SmokeMonkey
Recipes 

i want it dry to cut down on some sugar since i'm diabetic. partly why i want a yeast that will have a high alcohol tolerance and ferment more of the sugars than a sweet mead type yeast.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:57 PM   #9
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

OBC Mead Experiment

This was strictly a yeast experiment.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 09-11-2009, 09:12 PM   #10
insnekamkze86
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

i have use white labs sweet mead yeast and got good results from it.

Quick Reply