Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > beeswax flavor?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2008, 04:43 AM   #1
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts

Default beeswax flavor?

before I made a mead I tried a couple of commercial sweet meads. both of them were to sweet for my taste and had a very distinct beeswax flavor. Due to this I decided on a dry mead. when I transfered my dry mead to the secondary I tasted it knowing it would be green. I was surprised at the flavor. I dont like wine coolers, they are just down right nasty. but this mead tasted like the best wine cooler I have ever had. Although dry, it didn't have the sour bite that coolers have. I want to try making a slightly sweet mead but don't want the beeswax flavor. Are sweet meads supposed to taste like beeswax?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2008, 09:29 AM   #2
EvilTOJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Sweet meads will taste like whatever the character of the honey is. So if the honey is raw and unfiltered, there's all kinds of things in the honey, like bits of beeswax, bee butts, bee larvae faces, things of that nature. There will also be some residual sweetness.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply