Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Is Beekeeping a Constitutional right?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
RedGuitar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts

Default Is Beekeeping a Constitutional right?

Turned on the news this morning and this is one of the top stories:
http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/10724457/

To summarize it: a lady in a town about an hour north of me starting keeping bees in her back yard last March, and the town passed an ordinance last May saying all bee hives had to be at least 75 feet from a neighbor's property line. The woman refused to take her beehives down, and is now facing possible jail time.

So, let the discussion begin. Do her neighbors have a legitimate concern? Is she in the wrong for not obeying a law that was passed after the fact? Is the town wrong to pass such a law?

It should be noted that honeybees are the official NC state insect, and are kept at the governor's mansion in downtown Raleigh, as well as at several local children's science museums in the middle of cities.

And... discuss.

"I sit here and drink my good Wittenberg Beer, and the Kingdom of God comes all by itself." -Martin Luther

"Good men drink good beer." -Hunter S. Thompson

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
brewingmeister
Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 2

A buddy of mine would love this. A guy behind his small lot has some bees and he hates it. I keep asking him to get me some honey.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
DakotaRules
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I would say to move it for safety reasons. Even though the law was passed after the fact. Bees can be relocated with no issues as long as the queen stays alive. I'm also allergic.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:43 PM   #4
bosdave
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I believe that it is a constitutional right. However, I don't think that it is a right that cannot be restricted. See the right to own guns.

Generally speaking one's rights end the moment that they infringe upon another person's rights. While it is acceptable to have bees in your yard, if you cannot keep your bees in your yard and they cause physical or emotional stress on your neighbor, well that is not acceptable.

If I have 8 dogs, I will have issues if I cannot keep them in my yard. Perhaps more specifically, if I keep chickens for eggs, I also must keep them from bothering my neighbors.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:48 PM   #5
onthekeg
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I suppose the lawyers aren't aware that bees travel 2-3 miles from their hive daily.
Ya, 75 feet, that will make a HUGE difference.
I do believe that people should do whats "right" when its not a big deal, but there is probably much more to the story than the news team is reporting about.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

My neighbor thought he had the right to allow his ugly, viscous dogs to roam free in our neighborhood. That right ended when it attacked my son in my backyard and I beat that mangy POS to death with a baseball bat! The cops showed up and I was arrested! Fortunately for me the charges were dismissed by a judge who actually had a brain! He told everyone in court that day that I did what any father who cared for his children would do. He castigated the local PD and DA for even thinking about charging me with a crime over this.

Final chapter of this story is that my neighbor still allowed his idiot canine menaces to roam free after that. One attacked another child in the neighborhood and the authorities had it put down this time!

Old 02-14-2012, 01:58 PM   #7
onthekeg
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsma22 View Post
My neighbor thought he had the right to allow his ugly, viscous dog to roam free in our neighborhood. That right ended when it attacked my son in my backyard and I beat that mangy POS to death with a baseball bat! The cops showed up and I was arrested! Fortunately for me the charges were dismissed by a judge who actually had a brain! He told everyone in court that day that I did what any father who cared for his children would do. He castigated the local PD and DA for even thinking about charging me with a crime over this.

Final chapter of this story is that my neighbor still allowed his idiot canine menace to roam free after that. It attacked another child in the neighborhood and the authorities had it put down this time!
I thought you killed the dog? Did he have 2?

Old 02-14-2012, 02:03 PM   #8
brewingmeister
Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthekeg

I thought you killed the dog? Did he have 2?
Maybe that's why they arrested you...abusing instead of killing.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:06 PM   #9
Rehlgood
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

"Generally speaking one's rights end the moment that they infringe upon another person's rights"

I believe this would work both ways. Regardless, the woman had her bees prior to the law and should not have to move them. I wonder if anyone actually tried asking her nicely or if they just threatened her with the law?

Old 02-14-2012, 02:10 PM   #10
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

My mistake guys (post corrected). I should have said dogs! He had two doberman and one rottweiler. I put one of the doberman's out of it's misery. One of the remaining doberman was put down by the town after the second attack and he still has the rottweiler left. It was the oldest of the three dogs he had and is kept inside now. I only see it when he takes out on the leash to do his duty. He finally learned his lesson about what it means to be a good neighbor.

Quick Reply