Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Bee populations dropping.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2013, 11:58 PM   #1
raymondim
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bee populations dropping.

Saw this article today. Wonder how it is going to effect our honey prices in the future. http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...neybee-losses/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2013, 12:22 AM   #2
projectda
Recipes 

i think it will unless it is reversed. they have been dropping in population for awhile. my friends dad, has his own hives. i havent heard any problems with his hives. so i dont know how big it really is.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:25 AM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4278 Times on 3117 Posts
Likes Given: 822

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectda View Post
i think it will unless it is reversed. they have been dropping in population for awhile. my friends dad, has his own hives. i havent heard any problems with his hives. so i dont know how big it really is.
It's been going on for quite a long time, in Europe and in North American. I have had a friend who lost his hives due to colony collapse disorder.

It's been a downward spiral for a number of years- probably close to 10 years now.

There are lots of reasons (pesticides, the climate) etc.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:36 AM   #4
jhoneycutt
Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 1750

Funny yall are discussing this and as of today we have decided to move out of an apartment that refuses to do anything at all about a be hive that's in the walls of our apartment. They are honey bees we think and I understand they are protected but come on move the hive and queen somewhere else. Our kids have never been stung by anything and we aren't trying to find out if they are allergic the hard ya know. This is of course the proverbial straw that broke the camels back as there are other maintenance and pest issues that haven't been dealt with as well.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:42 AM   #5
grathan
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I have a bunch of honey and it will keep forever, but the guy I bought it from said the bees flew away right after he took the honey and gave up the hobby saying bees are getting too expensive.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:47 AM   #6
Yankeepride15
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 30

This is one theory: http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe...nes/index.html

“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.”
--J. R. R. Tolkien

"Revvy is so powerful that he can tell his recipes what the gravity they should be at any point in his brewing process and they immediately go to said gravity." - Shep

Old 05-14-2013, 12:55 AM   #7
Pilgarlic
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Colony collapse disorder still defies explanation. The intricate web of connection between honeybees and crops is massive and fragile. Starting with the bees themselves, apis mellifera, exotics imported originally from Europe. Raised and maintained by huge beekeepers who make most of their money not from honey but from pollination services, these bees are literally trucked across the country like migrant laborers to pollinate successive crops. In addition to being transported back and forth, they are "fed" sugar water to substitute for naturally available nectar which often isn't (naturally available) and fed or exposed to chemicals to control the pests (often also exotics) that ravage their combs and their larvae. Finally, they're exposed to the massive quantities of chemicals that have been approved by the EPA for use in farming despite their proven deleterious effects on bee populations. Why are they declining? Why would they not?? As a side note, in Florida the majority of the plants that allow this exotic honeybee to produce a surplus of honey are also exotics including tupelo and brazilian pepper. Finally, bees are the tip of the iceberg. We happen to KNOW what's happening to their populations because of their economic importance and because we're their innkeepers. We know much, much less about population trends in other pollinating species. The implications for agriculture and even non agricultural plant propagation are potentially staggering.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:31 AM   #8
MmmmBeer
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

They have also identified mites as a large part of the problem too.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:09 AM   #9
Bluespark
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts

There are herbal solutions to the mite problems, but they are labor intensive to produce and hard to market.

We are only paying attention to this issue because it effects us globally, yet species are wiped out by the hundreds daily, without us even knowing how useful they are or how the fit into their ecosystems. Pesticides, other artificial chemicals and various other unnatural processes are having a huge negative effect on our species, never mind the rest of the planet. Sad situation.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:53 AM   #10
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 21

And it can be laid at the door of $/£/€/¥ a.k.a economic "growth".....

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Quick Reply