Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Beautiful disgusting raspberry batch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2009, 07:28 PM   #11
nitasch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking View Post
How much lemon did you put in the Raspberry Mead? I recently (started in January of this year) made a raspberry with lemon juice and orange juice in it, and it is already drinkable and delicious!
Sorry, been super busy, have not logged on in a while.

I used the juice and zest of one lemon, one lime.... I kind of thought it was too much when I was adding it...since I am not a big citrus fan..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2009, 12:15 AM   #12
viking
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Hmmm...maybe the lemon zest has something to do with the overpowering citrus flavor. I used 6 Tablespoons of lemon juice (equal to 2 lemons) and 3/4 cup of orange juice (1 1/2 medium size oranges) and there is no noticeable citrus flavor in my raspberry. This was also in a 3 gallon batch. I haven't used any zest yet in a mead, but I understand that the zest is what really gives a mead the flavor of that citrus fruit. Maybe aging will help it mellow.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:20 PM   #13
nitasch
Recipes 

I agree with the zest being the overpowering part of the mix...I won't be doing that again!

Old 05-27-2009, 01:42 PM   #14
Ceegar
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitasch View Post
I used the juice and zest of one lemon, one lime.... I kind of thought it was too much when I was adding it...since I am not a big citrus fan..
I shouldn't speak to this because I've yet to make my first batch of wine (fermenting buckets arrive today!!) BUT I just went through experimenting with making some Limoncello using Everclear and I can tell you your Lemon zest has got to be your culprit.

Most of the Limoncello recipes I looked at before I started called for zest from 10-15 lemons infused in (2) 750mL of Everclear for 2 weeks - that's not even a half gallon and I can tell you, for my taste that is WAY TOO MUCH lemon for my liking. MY final recipe for that ended up cutting that same recipe to a third (zest from 5 lemons infused in 500mL of Everclear) but for only 2 days - and it's still VERY strong in lemony flavor - so those zests can really put out the lemon oils into whatever they're soaking in, especially in alcohol. Add the same thing from 1 lime and I'd be willing to bet that was WAY too much. A little bit goes a long way when it comes to those lemons.

Quick Reply