Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Banana short mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2012, 05:46 PM   #11
Matrix4b
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts

Was hoping for 5%, so I'll be OK with 3%. It's a short mead... comparable to a beer, not a wine.
Fair enough. Usually, I see people cut back on the honey amount when they want a Hydromel.

COLOR="magenta"]I was thinking the 2 lbs boiled would offer lots of flavor because the flavor won't be fermented away. The two lbs unboiled is for mouth feel and color as much as flavor.[/COLOR][/INDENT]
The boiling should get some of the flavor and yes some will be fermented away. The unboiled may not contribute much flavor as the flavor needs to be extracted from the oils and it doesn't see much time to extract and integrate the flavors much.
Why will the mead be hot? Not saying it won't, I'm still learning. But some beers are fermented this quick and don't age much more.
Beer and Mead are actually very different. A quick ferment and no aging doesn't really give the mead time to have the sweetness come back. Many meads are actually very sweet but prior to aging they taste "Hot". This is due to the fusel alcohols and the fact that many times this type of alcohol needs to break down and integrate better. Hence my guess that it will be hot. Ofcourse the sweetness will cover it but it may have a harshness at the end. We shall see. I would LIKE my predictions to be proven wrong.
I want cloudy, that is the purpose of using the bananas and not just the juice. Hope we're both right.
Cool. The Cold Crashing will take some of the yeast out but it may be cloudy with a bit of yeast and other stuff. Typically I see clear mead. Something you may want to do if you plan on having this outside of the fridge for it to warm up is to hit it with some potasium sorbate to stabilze it. Otherwise the left over yeast in the solution may become active again.
Buying the yeast and starting the process tomorrow night (bananas are already in the freezer)
Awesome. Let us know how it goes.

Matrix

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2012, 08:39 PM   #12
Halbrust
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 100

8/24/12 - Placed 10 peeled and frozen bananas in one gallon of water, brought water to boil and boiled for one hour.

Specific gravity of this "banana water" 1.023.

Placed banana water, 2lbs of raw wildflower honey, 1/3 cup orange juice to a one gallon plastic carboy.

Yeast starter for WLP565 Saison yeast made from 2 cups water, 1 tablespoon honey, and 1 tablespoon orange juice.

Starting Gravity 1.075

8/25/12 - Fermentation was so strong it up and out the airlock. Cleaned and refilled the airlock.

8/26/12 - No more messes, and still getting about 10 bubbles per minute on the fermentation.

Will check Gravity today 8/28/12. Hoping for a reading of 1.036 or 1.037 so I can cold crash with an ABV of around 5%

Old 08-28-2012, 08:44 PM   #13
Halbrust
Recipes 

Pitched 1/2 of the yeast starter, not the entire 2+ cups.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:45 PM   #14
luda007
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My fermentation did the exact same thing.
As of last night, most of the bananas have sunk to the bottom, and the airlock has almost no movement. At least during the 5 mins I stood there.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:25 AM   #15
Halbrust
Recipes 

Racked the mead today and put in in the fridge. Will rack it again in a few days. Hoping all yeast will drop in the cold

Old 09-03-2012, 02:29 AM   #16
luda007
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Did you take a hydrometer reading?
I got 1.001.
Started mine on the 21st and just racked it.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #17
Halbrust
Recipes 

Bottled this last night. Nice and clear. A little hot, but good flavor. The banana is there, but not how you'd expect. Definately has the warmer noted of banana, like in a banana bread more than the fruit flavor (does that make since)

I did not take a gravity reading
Will have to check my notes to see if I ever took a reading after fermentation.

Entering into a competition Saturday. Will post my results.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:43 PM   #18
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Well I've got about 8 or 9 gallons of banana mead, all finished fermenting, but all slightly differently made (more details in my blog - linked in sig line)

The one that's finished and bulk ageing was the first batch. I used the method that I'd asked about elsewhere. That was the "top and tail" the banana, slice it up whole, skin and all into the water that's gonna be used for the ferment and then boiled the lot for about 20 minutes or so. The pulp is then strained out and the "banana water" is used for the ferment. I don't recall whether I put extra fruit into that batch or not, but I did try to back sweeten it with malt extract from the health food shop (a 1lb jar) and while I haven't touched it since, I recall it being quite "bananery" tasting.....

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Old 10-10-2012, 01:18 AM   #19
Halbrust
Recipes 

Took first place in th beer category at the competition this weekend with a score of 83.5 (out of a possible 100).
This competition scored shot meads against beers, and long meads against wines.
Almost all comments on it were positive. Both from the judges and from the tasters as well.

Quick Reply