Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Back Sweetening Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2009, 09:02 PM   #11
Jabic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Guys, thanks for everything. I'm much clearer on the process now. I think I'll back sweeten with 1# of wildflower honey which, in my 3 gals, should give me FG: 1.011 or thereabouts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2009, 09:22 PM   #12
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyweed View Post
Hightest...I guess I learn something new everyday..I had always thought that Campden tabs (KMS) were the same thing as Potassium Metabisulphite, just in tablet form. My Kmeta is a fine white powder..I've never seen it in tablet form other than Campden Tabs.

So are Campden Tablets and Kmeta interchangable? I have both and usually use whatever the recipe calls for. But if Kmeta is "better" to use, I'll just change my recipes to using that.

Thanks
Dan
Campden tablets come in both Kmeta (potassium metabisulfite) and sodium metabisulfite forms. So if you have Kmeta Campden tablets you are fine.

Craig

Old 02-03-2009, 10:14 PM   #13
The Blow Leprechaun
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBBaron View Post
Campden tablets come in both Kmeta (potassium metabisulfite) and sodium metabisulfite forms. So if you have Kmeta Campden tablets you are fine.
I was told by the guy at my homebrew store that potassium and sodium metabisulfate were interchangeable, that it was the meta part you needed, not the K or Na, is this bad information?

Old 02-04-2009, 01:18 AM   #14
flyweed
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

CBarron..that clears up big confusion in my mind. I had always thought that Campden tabs and Potassium metabisulfite were the same..and I knew there was another sodium metabisulfite..but I didn't know they both came as "campden tablets" Now if that's not confusing for a new brewer I don't know what would be. I checked my bottles and my Campden tablet bottle says it's potassium metabisulfite..just like my other bottle of powered potassium metabisulfite..so it's looks like I just have two bottles of the same thing, one in tablet form, one in powder.

On Tap: Blackberry Blonde Ale
On Tap: Apple/Cherry Hard Cider

Old 02-04-2009, 02:46 AM   #15
hightest
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 6 Posts

Campden tablets may be made either from potassium or sodium metabisulphite. Generally, they come in a 0.44g tablet weight. However, I've personally weighed a batch of 25 that had three different weight groups.

Regardless of the metallic ion, the metabisulfite part produces the SO2 that is needed at various points in the brewing process.

Many people today are concerned about being heart-healthy - low sodium intake. That is the main reason why one might avoid the use of a sodium based compound. Another reason is that sodium based compounds can impart a salty taste to your "beverage". The amount needed will vary depending upon one's taste sensitivity.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:18 PM   #16
The Blow Leprechaun
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightest View Post
Many people today are concerned about being heart-healthy - low sodium intake. That is the main reason why one might avoid the use of a sodium based compound. Another reason is that sodium based compounds can impart a salty taste to your "beverage". The amount needed will vary depending upon one's taste sensitivity.
Thanks for the clarification!

Quick Reply