Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Back sweetening?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2009, 05:23 PM   #11
wayneb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
So Wayne - what's your backsweetening process?

For others... WayneB is a widely respected gotmead dot com member/mentor.
Uh, oh. I'm not incognito any more.

Well, I guess it's nice to be recognized.

Anyway, here's what I do when I'm going to backsweeten.

Basic backsweetening process:
1) Figure out how much you want to sweeten, by taste (see below).

2) On sweetening day, add enough metabisulfite to bring the free SO2 level up to around 100 ppm. (Again, this depends on pH and whether there's anything in the must that will bind sulfite -- or you can just rule-of-thumb it.) NOTE: This is higher than hightest's recommended 50 ppm level, but as I said earlier, SO2 will eventually dissipate with time (even in a corked bottle), so I rather err on the side of caution and include enough to be sure all yeast and/or ML bacteria are wiped out. If memory serves, commercial wineries are allowed to add significantly more than that (350 ppm), and the sensory threshold for most people is even higher than that.

3) Immediately add potassium sorbate; about 125-150 ppm, to provide effective yeast birth control. That's around 3/4 of a gram to 1 gram per gallon.

4) Add my backsweetening solution, and then airlock the carboy and allow the mead to re-clarify.

5) Once it is clear again, before transferring to a keg or bottles, add enough additional metabisulfite to bring the free SO2 level back up to 50 ppm. I do this by measuring free sulfite with a sulfite measurement kit, but you can wing it by assuming that nearly all the initial sulfite that you added has either been bound or has dissipated in the time you allow the mead to clear again.

6) Then bottle or keg it -- it will be stable at that time, and immune from any wild ML bacteria or yeast that may find their way in while you're bottling.

Anyway, my method to figure out how much to sweeten is pretty basic. As was noted in earlier postings in this thread, the actual perceived sweetness of any beverage is influenced a lot by what else is in there, so I don't try to hit a given SG target as much as I just sweeten to taste. That involves drawing off a small, measured volume sample of the mead, and then slowly adding a honey-water solution of known gravity (just enough water to get the honey to flow easily, around 1.300-ish net gravity), added in small measured increments, tasting the mix between each addition until I get the sweetness level that I'm satisfied with. If you always add the same amount of sweetening solution in between each tasting, and you count the number of additions up to the sweetness that you desire, then you can either figure out the net SG of the sweetened mix (or measure it directly if you have a big enough sample) and simply add enough honey to the main bulk of your batch to come up to that SG.

BTW - I've found that I'm much more pleased with a "backsweetening by mead" approach that I've done for my last couple of sweetening efforts, than I have been by adding unfermented honey. Because of the experimentation that I've been doing on ultra-high initial gravity fermentations (with starting gravities between 1.150 and 1.170), I happen to have a lot of dessert-sweet mead around the place these days. I follow the same basic approach as I described above for the honey-water additions, but I use a sweet mead instead of the honey-water solution. I end up essentially blending two meads, the dry with the really-sweet, until I get the level of sweetness I'm after in the finished product. I've found that the sweet mead additions will integrate and taste "finished" faster than the additions of honey alone.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2009, 05:23 PM   #12
flyweed
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Cugel, it's funny you bring that up now...I just racked (for the 4th and last time) a blueberry mead (melomel) that has been 5 months in the making. Now it is bulk aging. Anyway, case in point..I checked the F.G. yesterday during racking and it came in at 1.032!!! I was like...WOW this is gonna be sweet...BUT....it's really not. It's got a nice blueberry and honey flavor with a nice warming effect, almost like brandy..but it isn't cloyingly sweet or overwhelmingly sweet. In fact, I have a sweet, carbonated hard cider I am just drinking now, and the F.G. on that is only 1.013 and tastes MUCH sweeter than this Blueberry Mead does. It's funny how that works.

Dan

On Tap: Blackberry Blonde Ale
On Tap: Apple/Cherry Hard Cider

Old 02-11-2009, 05:36 PM   #13
claphamsa
Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Wow, This thread is awesome! Kudos to the starter

I collect magnetic bottle openers... so if you see something nice......

claphamsa on untappd

Old 02-11-2009, 05:37 PM   #14
wayneb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Oh, one thing I want to make sure gets noted....

Although I started making mead a long time ago (the late 1970's, to be precise), I took a "leave of absence" from the hobby during the mid to late 90's when we were busy with raising kids and stuff. During my absence, an incredible amount of good analytical and experimental science was performed by guys like hightest (now on this board), and Oskaar (Pete) on the Gotmead forum, and others (including that guy who wrote a book about it -- name of Schramm). They transformed this hobby from the hit-and-miss thing it was to the consistently successful, reliable and repeatable thing it is today. Hightest doesn't like to brag, so I'll do it for him. He's the one who essentially brought me into the 21st century of meadmaking process, and I like to give credit where credit is due. He is also a relative newcomer to HBT, but the advice that he gives is that of a seasoned, experienced pro.

Last edited by wayneb; 02-11-2009 at 05:40 PM.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:37 PM   #15
claphamsa
Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So Ill take gravity readings tonight... and see how high it is... I think with my pumpkin mead, the level of new honey will be limited by space in the carboy! Shame, Ill have to wait to bottle another couple of weeks I guess!

I collect magnetic bottle openers... so if you see something nice......

claphamsa on untappd

Old 02-11-2009, 07:40 PM   #16
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I was gonna ask if that was the wayneb I've gotten advice from on other forums, glad to hear it is. With you and Hightest sharing some time on HBT, this is becoming an even better forum!

Quick Reply