Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > B. Nektar Zombie Killer Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2012, 02:53 AM   #11
thasnazzle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpolis View Post
I just got done reading a ton of reviews on rate beer dot com. I think it would be good to age this on some light toasted French oak and the tart cherry juice to be added after fermentation & stabilizing. Just my 2c

Edit:

OK this thread has my head buzzin with ideas so thought I would share.

From B. Nektar site this is a 5.5% abv drink

So starting gravity of 1.04 & cold crash/stabalize as close to a gravity of 1.008 as possible then back sweeten with tart cherry juice to 1.02 & age for 1month on lightly toasted french oak cubes. ingrediants for 5 gallon would be as follows.

3 64oz bottles of Apple Cider
3lb of Star Thistle Honey, might need a little more to hit 1.04 gravity
Water to 5 gallon
2.5tsp yeast nutrient (SNA)
2.5tsp yeast energizer (SNA)

Stabalize with 5 camden tablets and 2.5tsp of potassium sorbate

Back sweeten to 1.02 gravity with Montmorencey Tart Cherry "Juice" not concentrate. Should take about 2 64oz bottles worth.

Age on 1oz light toasted frech oak 1 month.

Rack untill clear and force carb. DONE!

That sounds awesome!

I am going to try this recipe this weekend. I can't force carb, though - no kegging system. My plan was to backsweeten with more sugar than needed to prime it, then just wait until the bottles were carbed enough and pasteurize them. Any idea how I should calculate the amount of sugar I should be adding to backsweeten/prime?

Oh, and - what yeast? I currently have some beer yeasts (s-04, wy3711 saison, wlp400 wit, and some brett b) in the fridge. Should I be using those? Or should I go for a cider yeast? I haven't made cider in a while - last time I used s-04 and it turned out well.

Eviction Brewery Co.
Est. 2011
"Highly Unorganized and Unprofessional"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 05:37 AM   #12
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 445 Times on 358 Posts
Likes Given: 527

Definitely post back with results, finding the best clone possible for this would be awesome.

EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : French Oak Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout
Primary : Edicion Regionales Inglaterra
Primary : Oh My Darling Clementine Wheat
On Tap : Red, Wheat, and Blue, Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout 2.0, Cayo Hueso Cream Ale, Atocha Amber

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 12-17-2012, 05:11 PM   #13
NelsonNelson
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I recently made a cheap & easy attempt at a Zombie Killer clone myself;

5 gallons Natural Apple Juice (Kroger, Motts, whatever... just no preservatives)
3# Local Honey (B. Nektar mentions thistle, I just used what the farmer down the street had from his bee boxes)
16oz. tart cherry juice concentrate ('Fruit Fast' found in health section at Kroger)
WLP720 Sweet Mead/Wine yeast

I diluted honey with <1/2 gallon of apple juice and heated to 180F for 5-10 minutes. I guess a lot of guys dont worry about pasturizing the honey, I'll probably skip this step in the future. I added the rest of the apple juice and pitched yeast. Fermented 68F-70F until it was done. Racked onto 16oz of Tart Cherry Juice, slight activity in secondary. Racked one more time onto eisenglass and waited a month or two to clear out.

Results...DELICIOUS, but NOT CLONED
Not that I expected it to be, I was more or less trying to create something similar. Attenuation was higher than I expected. My attempt definitely finished drier than the real deal. I am going to attempt this same recipe with perhaps an ale yeast and see what I get. If that doesnt give me the correct amount of sweetness i'm going to experiment with more honey and/or cherry juice.

**Side note** I noticed the B. Nektar website lists the ABV at 5.5% yet the label reads 7%, Mine finsihed around 5.5%

Let me know if you guys have any suggestions or come up with anything close

Nelson

^ BN ARMY
1st Michigan Division

Old 12-17-2012, 10:18 PM   #14
KeyWestBrewing
Recipes 

I too finished my first clone attempt. I used 6gal publix brand apple cider and Notty. Let it ferment dry then back-sweetened with organic tart cherry juice and honey to 1.020. After that I pasteurized all the bottles after they reached the carbonation I wanted. It came out really good and real close to a clone but not quite there. Next batch I'm going to back-sweeten to 1.030 using more honey and use US-04. I'll post back on how it goes.

EAC - 5/2/14

On Tap : Red, Wheat, and Blue, Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout 2.0, Cayo Hueso Cream Ale, Atocha Amber

Old 04-20-2013, 06:46 AM   #15
JFK
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

subscribed. I actually earlier today before finding this thread wracked a batch of semisweet mead onto just under 16 ounces of Michigan tart cherry. I wish I had read this before I would have made it a cyser. I'm planning on aging it with American White Oak Spirals. I am defiantly going to help try to clone Zombie Killer with you guys now with my next batch.

Primary -
Conditioning - 5 gallons Oak Aged Sweet Tart Cherry melomel, 4 1 gallon variations of my Hops Mead.
Bottled - Choujiu (Chinese Rice Wine), Hefe, Godzilla IPA
Kegged - Godzilla IPA
On Deck - Choujiu (Chinese Rice Wine), Cream Soda for the wife n kids, German Style Pilsner with Michigan Hops,
Gone - to many to list.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #16
thasnazzle
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I haven't had a chance to do anything with this, JFK, but I'm curious as to how things turn out for you. Do keep us posted.

Eviction Brewery Co.
Est. 2011
"Highly Unorganized and Unprofessional"

Old 04-23-2013, 05:32 PM   #17
KeyWestBrewing
Recipes 

So I've come up with something that tastes incredibly similar but its technically a cider not a cyser.
Ferment 6gal Publix brand Cider with Notty until dry and yeast flocs out. Backsweeten with 2lbs Orange Blossom honey and tart cherry juice. I added a cup at a time of the tart cherry juice until I felt it tasted right. IIRC it was about 1L total. Pasteurize after 3-4 days if you bottle. If you keg just make sure to keep the keg cold so fermentation doesn't kick back up.
I don't have any Zombie Killer to do a side by side taste test, but from what I remember the the finished product tastes very similar. Nice honey flavor balanced out by tart cherry.

EAC - 5/2/14

Old 06-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #18
TMannion87
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

KeyWest, can you elaborate on your process for this? I just had Zombie Killer last night and was a big fan, but I've never really brewed a cider before. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 06-06-2013, 09:16 PM   #19
KeyWestBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMannion87
KeyWest, can you elaborate on your process for this? I just had Zombie Killer last night and was a big fan, but I've never really brewed a cider before. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Shoot me a PM with anything you want me to explain better for ya and I'll do my best to help.

EAC - 5/2/14

Old 06-29-2013, 01:33 AM   #20
QuercusMax
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Could you post here as well? My wife loved this stuff when I found a bottle a couple months ago, and I'd love to make her a clone of this.

Thinking of using Trader Joe's cider with US05 as the base, then adding honey and TJ's tart cherry juice.

How well does the pasteurizing work? What time/temp do you use, and does it affect the flavor any?

Quick Reply