Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Avocado Mead Recipe?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2012, 03:37 AM   #71
SuperSkylar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Santa Monica, CA California
Posts: 43
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

I wasn't really able to stir it at all through out this whole thing. Because of all the loss and the avocados flattening out, I was wondering (the level in the jug is loooww). Should I throw in a bit more yeast (they seem pretty dead) sugar, and a few cups of water, and let it go again for a week or two?

__________________
SuperSkylar is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 04:56 AM   #72
SuperSkylar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Santa Monica, CA California
Posts: 43
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSkylar View Post
I wasn't really able to stir it at all through out this whole thing. Because of all the loss and the avocados flattening out, I was wondering (the level in the jug is loooww). Should I throw in a bit more yeast (they seem pretty dead) sugar, and a few cups of water, and let it go again for a week or two?
Bump
__________________
SuperSkylar is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 06:21 AM   #73
turtlescales
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 159
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

I'm not actually sure to be honest. It does look sort of low in the picture, I guess if it were me I would be tempted to try and repeat under different circumstances, maybe in a bucket with less fruit and in a bucket for primary. Then again, you're in it this far. Maybe just topping it up with some mix of water and honey and riding it out to see what happens?

__________________
turtlescales is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #74
SuperSkylar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Santa Monica, CA California
Posts: 43
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Its dropped about 2"s since then. Whats the worst thing that could happen??
Is it not a good idea to add more sugar, water and yeast? I know it wont go as nuts as it last time

__________________
SuperSkylar is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 08:47 PM   #75
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CreamyGoodness's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Astoria, NY
Posts: 6,683
Liked 1599 Times on 1128 Posts
Likes Given: 2626

Default

Brohim, I just read this thread and laughed through my nose at work. This is just the kind of mad science I respect most. What a wonderfully horrible idea, lousy in all the best ways.

I just picture you in an LA apartment wearing a WWII helmet and goggles, fighting back your new creation with a stick.

Please keep us updated, particularly once you taste it.

__________________


You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

CreamyGoodness is offline
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 11:46 PM   #76
Bugeaud
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC (Canada)
Posts: 219
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Brohim, I just read this thread and laughed through my nose at work. This is just the kind of mad science I respect most. What a wonderfully horrible idea, lousy in all the best ways.

I just picture you in an LA apartment wearing a WWII helmet and goggles, fighting back your new creation with a stick.
I concur, this thread is rather hilarious, though also sad for the loss of mead. Though it is a sacrifice that had to be made for mead kind everywhere.
__________________
Bugeaud is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 05:00 AM   #77
SuperSkylar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Santa Monica, CA California
Posts: 43
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Iunno, Maybe once I strain it through a cheese cloth I'll get a lil more than a half gallon outa it. I am not gonna add anything to it due to the fact that no one has given me insight on what to do. But when should I rack it? It has stopped bubbling now, or does mead take a lil longer?

__________________
SuperSkylar is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 05:28 AM   #78
turtlescales
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 159
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

For whatever it is worth, I have my first 4 batches going now and racked my two melomels after about 3 weeks each.

A lot of people top up their batches with a mix of honey and water. I don't know the exacts, but if you searched "top up mead" or something like that you'd get some good information. I used extra must from my clementine cyser to top up my raspberry mead when it got pretty low. Pretty much apple juice and honey. Personally, the only sugar I want in my mead is honey and whatever fruit I decide to add.

I don't think I'd worry about adding more yeast, unless you took a gravity reading and it was really high and fermentation seemed to be stuck. Considering the geyser action you had though.... maybe not an issue It would likely be off, considering all that avocado in there. If you do decide to top up, maybe wait until you rack, and then take a look at how much headspace you have and give your mead a little taste and then decide. Just in case you are unaware, new mead tastes pretty nasty so keep that in mind.

Also... the idea of you battling this beast with a stick nearly made me cry I was laughing so hard

__________________
turtlescales is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #79
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CreamyGoodness's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Astoria, NY
Posts: 6,683
Liked 1599 Times on 1128 Posts
Likes Given: 2626

Default

What if you topped off with honey and water to just below the neck, capped, swirled or shook briefly, and then left open for a moment or two until you saw signs that the Hulk had begun bubbling again? Then I would immediately put a blow-off tube on it before returning to my sandbag bunker.

If must-making is anything like, say, making chicken-stock, I would say the half gallon you have right now is essentially a honey-laden avocado concentrate that is fermenting. I think it could actually benefit from a little dilution and extra sugar (and a shaking could help break down the avocado pieces). I wouldnt worry about energizer just yet (because HULK SMASH!) but if it is sluggish you could toss in a handful of raisins....

I'm far from an expert, though, so I make no promises.

__________________


You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

CreamyGoodness is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 07:49 PM   #80
SuperSkylar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Santa Monica, CA California
Posts: 43
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
What if you topped off with honey and water to just below the neck, capped, swirled or shook briefly, and then left open for a moment or two until you saw signs that the Hulk had begun bubbling again? Then I would immediately put a blow-off tube on it before returning to my sandbag bunker.

If must-making is anything like, say, making chicken-stock, I would say the half gallon you have right now is essentially a honey-laden avocado concentrate that is fermenting. I think it could actually benefit from a little dilution and extra sugar (and a shaking could help break down the avocado pieces). I wouldnt worry about energizer just yet (because HULK SMASH!) but if it is sluggish you could toss in a handful of raisins....

I'm far from an expert, though, so I make no promises.
Ok I will try that, Is all the yeast dead though because it has stopped bubbling.
__________________
SuperSkylar is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Orange Blossom or Avocado Meads rustang64 Mead Forum 4 05-06-2011 03:10 PM
Help With Mead Recipe Joeywhat Mead Forum 8 01-13-2010 04:05 PM
My first mead recipe DJBod129 Mead Forum 3 11-20-2008 02:39 PM
Anyone try this mead recipe? B-rad Mead Forum 11 09-11-2008 05:05 PM
My first mead, my own recipe FabilaJ Mead Forum 8 06-01-2008 01:39 AM