Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Avocado Mead Recipe?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2012, 01:12 AM   #11
Bugeaud
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
I think the real problem is getting rid of the oils.
I concur. Though the oils aren't apparently a problem for SuperSkylar, they still pose the risk of off flavours. (Bitterness I imagine could be one of them.)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2012, 01:18 AM   #12
SuperSkylar
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugeaud View Post
If it were me, I would like fill up half the primary with avocados (Lol, sorry for the imprecise measurements, but I never really weighed avocados). About lemon, if were talking a gallon batch, probably like 2-4 squeezed lemons, just enough to really taste it, but not too much. I think sourness is kind of nasty in mead. And with herb salt salt... I never checked the ingredients, but I reckon there is like light greens in there like parsley and stuff. On another note, I would make it an off-dry mead, but that's just my tastes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlescales View Post
This is kind of crazy, but I'd add a bit of cilantro to it. I have no idea how it would taste, but I'm sort of a cilantro fiend. I plan on making cilantro wine at some point this year, haha. That, and lemon zest and juice. And a nylon mesh bag to hold the avocados in to keep you sane when you try to rack this stuff.
1 medium avocado is around .5lbs. So what would the ingredient list look like you think?
I remember in one thread someone said use 7-8 pounds of avocado.
2-4 lemons.
I will try cilantro instead of parsley (I too like cilantro) How much should I use?
Anything else? Cinnamon stick, raisins, what kind of spices? I'm open to anything with this one.
I'm guessing 3 pounds of honey, do I need to add sugar too? I have never made mead so I don't know. (I may not use honey, just sugar in which case should I use 2-3 pounds of sugar??)

Last edited by SuperSkylar; 01-22-2012 at 01:24 AM.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:26 AM   #13
Bugeaud
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well maybe like 15 avocados so 7.5 pounds. (???). I have to go now, but will finish my input on that a little later.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:27 AM   #14
turtlescales
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Cilantro is pretty powerful, maybe add half of a grocery store bunch during secondary in a mesh bag so you can remove it easily, take it out when it seems good? Maybe some black peppercorns as well.

The lemon should help oxidation, I wonder if dehydrating the avocados first would help with the oily aspect any or if it wouldn't matter once they rehydrate.

I am a huge boba tea fan, the stuff with big hunks of tapioca in it, and had an avocodo milk version the other day with lots of cinnamon. To my tastes, it was pretty foul. I'd be inclined to go dry and avoid spices usually used with sweet things but that is just me.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:28 AM   #15
SuperSkylar
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugeaud View Post
Well maybe like 15 avocados so 7.5 pounds. (???). I have to go now, but will finish my input on that a little later.
Anyone else? I'd like to grab em tonight..

Old 01-22-2012, 01:30 AM   #16
SuperSkylar
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlescales View Post
Cilantro is pretty powerful, maybe add half of a grocery store bunch during secondary in a mesh bag so you can remove it easily, take it out when it seems good? Maybe some black peppercorns as well.

The lemon should help oxidation, I wonder if dehydrating the avocados first would help with the oily aspect any or if it wouldn't matter once they rehydrate.

I am a huge boba tea fan, the stuff with big hunks of tapioca in it, and had an avocodo milk version the other day with lots of cinnamon. To my tastes, it was pretty foul. I'd be inclined to go dry and avoid spices usually used with sweet things but that is just me.
During secondary? Does that mean after you rack it?

Old 01-22-2012, 01:30 AM   #17
JoeyChopps
Recipes 

Liked 278 Times on 188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlescales

The idea of drying the avocodes first seems really smart to me. When u dry meat all the fat (oil/ grease ) melts off and leaves a fairly inense meat flavor left. Idk if the same is true with avocodes but worst case sanarion u will make a badass maranate

Old 01-22-2012, 01:37 AM   #18
urbanmyth
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyChopps View Post
The idea of drying the avocodes first seems really smart to me. When u dry meat all the fat (oil/ grease ) melts off and leaves a fairly inense meat flavor left. Idk if the same is true with avocodes but worst case sanarion u will make a badass maranate
+1. I personally dislike avocado, but you will at least have some sort of alcoholic mush that might taste good over pork.

Sheldon: If its a brew day, its a good day

raptorvan: it makes the beer so silky smooth its like drinking a glass of giggling angels.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:38 AM   #19
turtlescales
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Yeah, another reason I think to go with savory herbs and spices over sweet.... this could be awesome as a steak marinade.

During secondary does mean after you rack. From what I've read and been told, putting stuff in during the primary gives you a somewhat fainter more wine like flavor, and adding in secondary helps to preserve fresh bright flavors a bit more.

As for dehydrating, if you have a Harbor Freight store near you you can pick up a dehydrator for 20 dollars, but I think if you are patient and careful you can do it in the oven. I'd consult google if you decide to go that route.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:39 AM   #20
SuperSkylar
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

As I said I am fine with the oils.
I just need to better narrow down what/how much I need to get.
~7 pounds of avocados
~half of a store bunch of cilantro
~2-4 lemons
~(Now how much sugar should I use if I'm not using honey, as well as how much if I do use honey depending on price)

Also, I remember hearing that the oils don't develop fully untill ripe, so if I get em unripe then I think they'll be fine.

Last edited by SuperSkylar; 01-22-2012 at 01:43 AM.

Quick Reply