New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Avocado Mead Recipe?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 12:46 PM   #111
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1501 Times on 1073 Posts
Likes Given: 2285

Hey dont feel bad, they cant all be winners like my okra mead.

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 05:06 AM   #112
SebastianS
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm a bit late to this party, but I have to say...

I too am new to home brewing. But I've spent the past month I've extensively been researching home brewing supplies, techniques, others recipes, starting to create my own. And will soon be making my first batch of mead.

However, I could have definitely told you that this wouldn't have worked. It was a feeling I had in my gut the whole time. There are just some flavours, and ingredients that just don't work together. This one in particular, good example. Although I have to give you credit for trying. That's worth something.

Oh, and Avocados totally have flavour. Thing is you have to let them ripen! Pretty much like any fruit or vegetable... Then they taste fantastic, and have a really creamy texture. Hell, they're just good on their own!

Old 01-31-2013, 05:08 AM   #113
SebastianS
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
Brohim, I just read this thread and laughed through my nose at work. This is just the kind of mad science I respect most. What a wonderfully horrible idea, lousy in all the best ways.

I just picture you in an LA apartment wearing a WWII helmet and goggles, fighting back your new creation with a stick.

Please keep us updated, particularly once you taste it.
And by the way, this comment wins Best Comment. No question! Hahaha! It was too great!
Old 01-31-2013, 11:32 AM   #114
JoeyChopps
Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebastianS
I'm a bit late to this party, but I have to say...

I too am new to home brewing. But I've spent the past month I've extensively been researching home brewing supplies, techniques, others recipes, starting to create my own. And will soon be making my first batch of mead.

However, I could have definitely told you that this wouldn't have worked. It was a feeling I had in my gut the whole time. There are just some flavours, and ingredients that just don't work together. This one in particular, good example. Although I have to give you credit for trying. That's worth something.

Oh, and Avocados totally have flavour. Thing is you have to let them ripen! Pretty much like any fruit or vegetable... Then they taste fantastic, and have a really creamy texture. Hell, they're just good on their own!
Just because you don't think they go together doesnt make it true. What about jalapeños and beer? I've had a jalapeño cream ale and it was pretty good. Or what about onion wine? Or tomato wine? I got a buddy that makes both and they are both good. As you get more experience you will find that you will also want to brew something crazy. If you read the whole thread the reason we are using unrip avocados is because of the oil content of rip ones and the negative result that has on fermentation. That's what happened to my experiment and I have more ideas to make it right. Cheers

Old 05-20-2013, 04:50 PM   #115
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Resurrecting this because I'm thinking about being crazy and doing an avocado witte. I know this is the mead forum but my post is more about how to treat avocados and this is the best avocado thread on the forums.

How about an ethanol extraction? Soak avocados in high proof vodka and strain. If need be, "applejack" the extract to get out only the good stuff. Thoughts?

Old 05-20-2013, 05:12 PM   #116
LegitBrew
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 7 Posts

Hahahaha! I love this thread. Reminds me of a friend that wanted to make "Thanksgiving Mead" wherein he wanted to take turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes, corn, all the traditional holiday meal stuff, blend it up and throw it in the fermenter! Ridiculous (ly awesome and hilarious) SuperSkylar, did you ever do anything with your batches? Maybe just try straining it if you can't really rack it, cold crash it, grab the liquid off the top and taste it. I must know!

Ohh, and as for bovines querie. That's how I would try to do it. Thinking that all of the flavor is in the oil.....which you want......but so are all of the fats....which you DO NOT want. Cold press and heat extraction would still leave them, so that's probably out, as would be using pure avocado extract (made by these two procedures). I am sort of doubting that just soaking them in vodka would extract enough flavor to make it through to the finished product......no idea though. I'd start off with a container, FULL of avocados, fill the cracks with vodka to cover, and wait. Mashing them first would probably work better, but straining the vodka back out would be another challenge (especially if you blended them.....maybe not though). Maybe pour into a bunch of cheesecloth, squeeze out all the liquid you can into a container, let that sit, chill it, see if anything separates. Get anything that looks oily off it. Taste it and see if there's avocado flavor. I am just making blind stabs here ??????????? Who knows, now I am gonna have to try and make this sh*t. hahaha!

Old 05-20-2013, 05:46 PM   #117
LegitBrew
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 7 Posts

After a quick google, looks like a lot of avocado/guacamole flavored drinks are milk based....which actually sounds really good. "Avocado Mead" didn't sound that good to me when I first started reading all this, and i LOVE avocado. I imagine an alcoholic avocado drink to be cloudy/milky, not clear. Anyways, I don't know anything about kefir, never even tasted it before. Is it sour/bitter like kombucha or sweet and creamy like how I want it to taste? No clue. But maybe making some sort of avocado super kefir is a route? I think I'm gonna just make some of this avocado/milk smoothie thing and turn it into a white russian-y drank. Now THAT sounds good.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:20 PM   #118
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Haha I love the enthusiasm. I'm also wondering if an alcohol extraction will pull out the right stuff. I was thinking that slightly underripe avocados cut into pretty small chunks would work well but who knows.

I think I might do a test batch of extract with a single avocado in a jar tonight.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:33 PM   #119
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegitBrew View Post
After a quick google, looks like a lot of avocado/guacamole flavored drinks are milk based....which actually sounds really good. "Avocado Mead" didn't sound that good to me when I first started reading all this, and i LOVE avocado. I imagine an alcoholic avocado drink to be cloudy/milky, not clear. Anyways, I don't know anything about kefir, never even tasted it before. Is it sour/bitter like kombucha or sweet and creamy like how I want it to taste? No clue. But maybe making some sort of avocado super kefir is a route? I think I'm gonna just make some of this avocado/milk smoothie thing and turn it into a white russian-y drank. Now THAT sounds good.
For milk kefir think super tangy fermented drinkable yogurt, sour tangy, not sour rotten. You also have water kefir. I would add the avocado in secondary ferment if I ever dared try it, but I just do not see it working unless the oils do not go rancid. Someone needs to make an avocado powder, like PB2.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 05-20-2013, 08:56 PM   #120
JoeyChopps
Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 187 Posts

The avocados will go rancid untreated I posted my results a few months ago

Quick Reply