Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Avocado Mead Recipe?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
SuperSkylar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Avocado Mead Recipe?

Hi guys, I am new here and new to brewing . I have started a rice and raisin wine, and a pineapple wine. I have a lot of glass 1 gallon jugs, so I would like to keep the recipe for 1 gallon. So I wanted to know if anyone has an avocado mead recipe, I want to make a mead because I already have two wines brewing (but if there are only wince recipes that is fine too). I love avocados and they are on sale for 47 cents here so I figured why not!
Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2012, 12:05 AM   #2
SuperSkylar
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

??

Old 01-22-2012, 01:38 AM   #3
Bugeaud
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well avocado, lemon, and herb salt goes really well together. Why not include some citrus? Also, avocado may be described as lacking in flavour themselves alone, so to capture the full essence of avocado I would have A LOT of avocados peeled and pitted in the primary. The considerable large amount of oil in avocado may produce a problem with clearing and potential off flavours though. Perhaps you may consider an avocado extract, or lightly toasting or boiling the avocado to rid of some oils. Doing so however may result in loss of avocado flavour.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:44 AM   #4
Esnagami
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugeaud
Well avocado, lemon, and herb salt goes really well together. Why not include some citrus? Also, avocado may be described as lacking in flavour themselves alone, so to capture the full essence of avocado I would have A LOT of avocados peeled and pitted in the primary. The considerable large amount of oil in avocado may produce a problem with clearing and potential off flavours though. Perhaps you may consider an avocado extract, or lightly toasting or boiling the avocado to rid of some oils. Do so however may result in loss of avocado flavour.
How do I post? I'm new to this stuff!

Old 01-22-2012, 01:49 AM   #5
Bugeaud
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Post a new thread? If that's what you mean then, Go back to the mead forum. Just above the thread "Announcements" there is a button which says "New Thread".

Old 01-22-2012, 01:51 AM   #6
SuperSkylar
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugeaud View Post
Well avocado, lemon, and herb salt goes really well together. Why not include some citrus? Also, avocado may be described as lacking in flavour themselves alone, so to capture the full essence of avocado I would have A LOT of avocados peeled and pitted in the primary. The considerable large amount of oil in avocado may produce a problem with clearing and potential off flavours though. Perhaps you may consider an avocado extract, or lightly toasting or boiling the avocado to rid of some oils. Doing so however may result in loss of avocado flavour.
How many pounds do you think would be needed for a gallon batch? I am definitely willing to try it, I love the taste of avocados so the oil or aftertaste will be fine by me.
As for the lemon, are we talking about 1 fresh squeezed lemon or 6 cups worth?
And what do you mean by herb salt? What other kinds of ingredients do you think?
Thanks alot

Old 01-22-2012, 02:02 AM   #7
Bugeaud
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If it were me, I would like fill up half the primary with avocados (Lol, sorry for the imprecise measurements, but I never really weighed avocados). About lemon, if were talking a gallon batch, probably like 2-4 squeezed lemons, just enough to really taste it, but not too much. I think sourness is kind of nasty in mead. And with herb salt salt... I never checked the ingredients, but I reckon there is like light greens in there like parsley and stuff. On another note, I would make it an off-dry mead, but that's just my tastes.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:02 AM   #8
turtlescales
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

This is kind of crazy, but I'd add a bit of cilantro to it. I have no idea how it would taste, but I'm sort of a cilantro fiend. I plan on making cilantro wine at some point this year, haha. That, and lemon zest and juice. And a nylon mesh bag to hold the avocados in to keep you sane when you try to rack this stuff.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:05 AM   #9
Bugeaud
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Oh, and btw, I wouldn't take my hypothetical recipe straight to heart. All my numbers are just sort of guesstimates.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:06 AM   #10
urbanmyth
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I think the real problem is getting rid of the oils.

On a somewhat similar note, nukinfuts29 has tried to make cream cheese wine in the past. I would imagine the lipids in the cheese and the lipids in the avocado would present some of the same difficulties.

Sheldon: If its a brew day, its a good day

raptorvan: it makes the beer so silky smooth its like drinking a glass of giggling angels.

Quick Reply