New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > anyone made ken schramms apple cyser??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 12:17 AM   #1
ErinRae
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default anyone made ken schramms apple cyser??

Hi,

I made a 3 gallon batch of ken schramms "Falls Bounty Cyser" It fermented super fast and I moved it to Secondary at around the 9 day mark. I stopped the yeast at 1.000 cause I don't like overly dry. Today I took a tiny sip to see if I could taste anything.

Its been just over 2 weeks and it tastes awful!! like pure alcohol and I can barely barely taste apple. Is this normal?? When I went to smell it and pulled the bung I got a huge whiff of nastiness..maybe like fart..eek! I know that it needs months and months of aging. I guess I'm just wondering if this is normal.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2012, 05:36 AM   #2
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5732 Times on 5098 Posts
Likes Given: 568

Two weeks is too quick to judge anything.

Apple can often give off a sulfur aroma, so don't worry much about that.

How did you stop the fermentation? That can be tough to do.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:07 PM   #3
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 576 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 1256

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinRae View Post
Hi,

I made a 3 gallon batch of ken schramms "Falls Bounty Cyser" It fermented super fast and I moved it to Secondary at around the 9 day mark. I stopped the yeast at 1.000 cause I don't like overly dry. Today I took a tiny sip to see if I could taste anything.

Its been just over 2 weeks and it tastes awful!! like pure alcohol and I can barely barely taste apple. Is this normal?? When I went to smell it and pulled the bung I got a huge whiff of nastiness..maybe like fart..eek! I know that it needs months and months of aging. I guess I'm just wondering if this is normal.
I've made the Fall's Bounty Cyser recipe; it takes a while to get good, but it DOES get good, VERY good. I let it bulk age 2 years before bottling (6 gallon batch) and it was very tasty! I think the only way I could improve on it would be to use a blend instead of pure MacIntosh juice & use 71-B yeast. Mead/melomel/cyser/etc... Takes time.
Regards, GF.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:49 PM   #4
ErinRae
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

GF did you add any spices to your cyser?? like cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg or vanilla? I've been reading that I should add spices to the secondary if I want...and let them sit in there till it tastes about right to me.

If I'm going to add spices I guess I should do this closer to bottling so I can actually gauge a proper taste??

Daydreaming about......raspberry vanilla, wildberry mead
Brewing & Aging: Wildflower mead, Betrayal: A Stark Raving Cherry Mead
Bottled: sweet blueberry melomel, sparkling Cranberry/Blackberry melomel, fb apple cyser, wine, wine and more wine!

Old 08-08-2012, 02:39 PM   #5
DGibb
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My cyser bulk aged for 6 months prior to bottling and has been in bottle for almost a year.

It is just now starting to taste really good.

If I had to make a decision to keep it or pitch it based on a two week old sample, I would have ditched it and never known that I could make a delicious cyser with just cider, honey, yeast, and time. It taught me to be patient and that good things come to those who wait.

1. Young Americans American Pale Ale - only 4 left!
2. Cider Mill Cyser - 20 left
3. Ugly Sweater Holiday Ale - 16 left
4. Powder Glade Wit - 6 left
Kegged:
1. Dead Simple Hefeweizen

Old 08-08-2012, 11:54 PM   #6
Taise
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you are getting a fart/sulfur smell you might try aerating or splash racking to off gas it.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:53 AM   #7
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 576 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 1256

Quote:
GF did you add any spices to your cyser?? like cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg or vanilla? I've been reading that I should add spices to the secondary if I want...and let them sit in there till it tastes about right to me.

If I'm going to add spices I guess I should do this closer to bottling so I can actually gauge a proper taste??
My 1st cyser (Fall's Bounty) had no spices in it, but I did use some spices (cinnamon stick) when serving it hot. I also added a teaspoon of brown sugar per mug when serving hot.

My 2nd cyser wasn't the Fall's Bounty recipe, but I did use spices: cinnamon stick whole clove, sliced nutmeg. The clove dominated that batch, it wasn't bad, just not what I was shooting for.

If you're wanting to add spices, use whole, sliced or cracked spices. Put them in a hop sack with a couple of sanitized marbles to weigh it down & tie a sanitized thread or string to it so you can easily fish it out when your desired flavour profile has been reached. The bung will hold the thread & maintain a seal at the same time. Clove can easily dominate, 1 or 2 whole cloves in a 3 gallon batch would be plenty IMHO. You can add all the spice at once, or you can ad them one at a time, your choice.

When I do use spices, I mostly use them in secondary, but when I make graff (malt cider), sometimes I'll add them to primary, sometimes to both primary and secondary; it just depends on the recipe.

As for the cyser, Next time I make it, I'll use the 71-B yeast & a blend of mac juice & store bought juice, and I'll ferment it on the cool side. I can see where a vanilla bean might be really good in a cyser; it would add a sense of sweetness to it without actually changing the FG & would help to mellow the cinnamon.

Hope this info helps.
Regards, GF.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:49 PM   #8
ErinRae
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Thanks GF!

I'll have to think about spices over the next month or so..I guess I have lots of time since the cyser will take quite a while to mellow out. I like the idea of cinnamon and/or vanilla. I def think I'll backsweeten though.
I stopped the fermentation with a wine stablizer..but I haven't checked the gravity yet to make sure it's stopped. It was at 1.00 last time I checked. But if I'm going to backsweeten it..it needs to be stopped 100% right?
What do you think about backsweetening with a lb or two of caramized honey? Does caramlized honey work well? Sounds like it would be great!

I wouldn't want this mead to sweeten over 1.015..so maybe it was a mistake to stop it at 1.00 to begin with

I keep using 1118 for mead. When I go to the wine store they say thats all I need. But I dont really want 18% alcohol and I like mead a little sweeter so far....having to stop the yeast is kind of a nusiance.
Oh the joys of learning!!!

Daydreaming about......raspberry vanilla, wildberry mead
Brewing & Aging: Wildflower mead, Betrayal: A Stark Raving Cherry Mead
Bottled: sweet blueberry melomel, sparkling Cranberry/Blackberry melomel, fb apple cyser, wine, wine and more wine!

Old 08-09-2012, 06:52 PM   #9
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Taking it off the yeast at 9 days pretty much ensures you won't have enough yeast to clean up any off flavors produced in primary.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 08-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #10
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5732 Times on 5098 Posts
Likes Given: 568

Quote:
I keep using 1118 for mead.
Next time try D47 or 71B-1122.

I find that 1118 drives away too much aroma, and that D47 or 71B produce a more overall pleasant mead.

Quick Reply