Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Any tips on adding fruit to mead?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2010, 01:34 AM   #1
tenchu_11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Any tips on adding fruit to mead?

I saw alot of people on youtube adding oranges,raisins and berrys to their mead. But i've read posts of people being concerned when their fruit starts to mold. When during the brewing process is it appropirate to add fruits, how should the fruits be treated to avoid molding? Any personal preferences on what spice and fruits go good together?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2010, 08:24 AM   #2
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenchu_11 View Post
I saw alot of people on youtube adding oranges,raisins and berrys to their mead. But i've read posts of people being concerned when their fruit starts to mold. When during the brewing process is it appropirate to add fruits, how should the fruits be treated to avoid molding? Any personal preferences on what spice and fruits go good together?
Think about it...... fruit starts to go mouldy if exposed to air/oxygen and is at too warm a temperature doesn't it.

What exactly is alcohol ? It's anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti etc etc etc and it's also a preservative.

So, adding it to meads ??? well it's up to you. If the recipe suggests it goes into the primary, then fine but I have found that it tends to blow a lot of the flavour/aroma out the airlock during the first vigorous stages of ferment. So I'll either add it to secondary, or even finish the ferment and then steep the fruit in it. That way, I find that it will give a more fruity flavour and that the mead is drinkable earlier.

As for mould, well if the fruit goes into secondary, the alcohol and the CO2 will normally prevent mould. If I put it into a finished ferment, then I'll normally put it in a fine mesh straining bag, and not de-gas the mead so that it will release enough CO2 over time to create a protective blanket of gas - and deny O2 access to the fruit. It'll also be in a straining net and the alcohol stops it rotting.

S'up to you want you do but you can always just search around. There's lots of guidance about this......

regards

fatbloke

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Photobond Likes This 
Old 04-02-2010, 10:44 AM   #3
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 822 Times on 574 Posts
Likes Given: 2234

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenchu_11 View Post
I've never had mold growing in any fermentation. I've added fruit to mead in primary, secondary & tertiary, all with good results. You'll lose a certain amount of fruit flavour in primary, but you get a fermented fruit flavour that way. In secondary, and especially in tertiary, you'll get a flavour closer to the actual fruit. I'll often add fruit to both primary AND secondary/tertiary to get more depth of flavour.

If you use fruit that floats in primary, you'll need to "punch the cap," or push the floating fruit down under the surface a couple times a day to avoid mold & such. Often the fruit will sink to the bottom on it's own, which eliminates the need to punch the cap.

If you add fruit to seconday/tertiary the alcohol will likely kill off anything that would do damage, so you should be good to go. That being said, I always freeze/thaw any fruit I use a couple times & I'll often sufite it too. Usually, if your sanitation is good, you'll have good results. Regards, GF.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:23 PM   #4
abpt1
Recipes 

I think most molds need an oxygen rich environment .

Old 11-05-2012, 10:48 AM   #5
strife440
Recipes 

Default orange and raisin mead

I found a recipe for a 1 gallon batch of mead using an orange and some raisins. it has stopped fermenting now and so i filtered it to get rid of any sediment and so my mead is rather clear and it tastes rather dry with small hints of honey, the orange in my opinion gave it an unusual flavour it needs more time to age but gets better tasting each week and i never had any trouble with mould.

here is the recipe i used
1 gallon spring water
3 pounds honey
1 orange (sliced into 8 pieces)
25 raisins
1 packet of yeast

to make a pomegranate melomel should i just add the pomegranate to that recipe or replace the orange with pomegranate as the orange is the yeast nutrient or something.

any advice on how i can alter my recipe to make a melomel if it is needed would be most helpful

Old 11-07-2012, 09:41 PM   #6
Peppers16
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Maybe using campden in conjunction with fruit-addition would help?
I added strawberries to a mead in secondary and there definitely seemed to be some white stuff forming after a week.
More recently I've found that yeast seems to form on the fruit, which I guess isn't a problem!

Old 11-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #7
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You are speaking of making a new batch...using pomegranate? You can make a basic mead and then introduce the pomegranate when you transfer to secondary. Or you can incorporate the pom during primary phase. Or some in primary, and in secondary. People do it both ways.

FWIW, the raisins are your yeast nutrient while the orange provided acidic component. You mention the mead is dry...that is probably so. Did you happen to take a hydrometer reading to see where it was? Can always sweeten it up by stabilizing with k-meta and sorbate and then adding your sugar source...but you want to make sure your ferment is complete by using hydrometer. With mead making aging is key. You may have a batch you think is disgusting initially, but a year or two or three years later it is liquid gold.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 12-28-2012, 03:19 PM   #8
Flaviking
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Does the fruit require any sanitation when being added to the secondary? I'd be afraid of adding some nasties to my sanitized mead.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:56 AM   #9
WVMJ
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Were you punching down the fruit a couple of times a day? WVMJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppers16 View Post
Maybe using campden in conjunction with fruit-addition would help?
I added strawberries to a mead in secondary and there definitely seemed to be some white stuff forming after a week.
More recently I've found that yeast seems to form on the fruit, which I guess isn't a problem!

Old 12-29-2012, 12:59 AM   #10
WVMJ
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 21

We add most of our fruit right into the primary, and use a lot of it so loosing the essence of the fruit is not an issue. Also, I am not trying to make jam, I want fermented wine, the taste of the fruit fermented is what we are after. Once we have that I sometimes boost the aroma by adding some strawberries at the end of the intial fermentation for a couple of days. Then we rack into a carboy and let it finish. For our melomels we really like to backsweeten with honey to bring out the honey taste just a little more. WVMJ

Quick Reply