Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Any one use an air pump?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2009, 04:19 PM   #1
Don "Ho"
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Any one use an air pump?

In my Mead bible (The complete Meadmaker by Ken Schrammm) he mentions using compressed air for about 5 minutes in a 5 gallon carboy. Thinking about doing this on my next try at mead..

Anyone done this, pointers, or is this just wasted effort?

Thanks
Don "Ho"

Bottled & Drinking: Cherry Mead
Working: Soon to be determined
Planned: Blackberry Mead

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2009, 04:21 PM   #2
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 27 Posts

Ever smelled the air that comes out of an air compressor? It's horrid. I wouldn't want that in my brew, that's for sure.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:55 PM   #3
wayneb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I use an aquarium pump to provide the compressed air for aeration of my musts, via an airstone. I have an in-line sub-micron filter that I use to keep contaminants out of the must when I'm running the pump.

It is not wasted effort to aerate or oxygenate your must pre-pitch. In fact, for most efficient fermentation it is a good idea to continue to stir some air into the must until you reach the 1/3 sugar break. Oxygen is good for your yeast until they establish a stable colony and get down to the business of anaerobic fermentation.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:53 AM   #4
Preliator
Recipes 

Ive been using a Nebulizer for asthma patients.. it has a filter incorporated into the body and also I installed a second filter inline. I have my ornamental metal worker making up 2 stainless steel tubes that medical air stones can be secured to (the ones you see in an medical O2 set up) till i get it i have used just air hose with a sanitary stone just dropped in the primary.
I have also used medical O2 as I have access to it as well and notice no great difference from the pump to the tank....just my 2cents worth
anthony

secondaries- Kolsh & Cranberry/black raspberry melomel
bottled/kegged- Viking Thunder
On-Deck- Barv. Hefe & kiwi pear Sov/Blanc

Old 05-08-2009, 01:08 PM   #5
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 940 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 2562

I like to aerate with a sanitized blender, works great. Regards, GF.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:50 AM   #6
travestyofnature
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I've used medical oxygen on some of my high grav meads before. (from my spare O2 cylinder in EMT kit) Cut the end off a nasal canula and attach an air stone, sanitize, and give the mead 6 liters/per min for about 5-7 min. Using a blender works great but I always end up wondering if it was clean enough over the next few months while it ferments.

Hey GF, do you have a blender set aside that you just use for your meads?

Old 05-09-2009, 12:10 PM   #7
pdilley
Recipes 

I use a big ol' 3 foot paint stirrer from the hardware store. Sanitised and inserted into my cordless drill. Makes mixing in a whole bucket of honey into water a breeze. And I end up with a massive 3 to 4 inch layer of bubbly oxygenated foam from all that whipping. I work big though, my primary fermenter is 16 gallons.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:26 PM   #8
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 940 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 2562

Quote:
Originally Posted by travestyofnature View Post
Hey GF, do you have a blender set aside that you just use for your meads?
Well, yes & no. I have a blender that I use just for fermentations; but I use it with meads & wines both. I had some worries about the rubber O ring & the porous nature of rubber for obvious reasons, but I just wash it well, let it dry & give it a good spraying with starsan. No problems so far & I've been using this method for 4 years & counting. It's just a cheap ($30) blender I got at Walmart. The only real issue for me is the motor. I can only blend about 3lbs of honey (with room temp water) at a time as the motor just isn't powerful enough to mix more than that. A better motor would make things much easier. Regards, GF.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:40 PM   #9
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

to answer the question using a canister of compressed air will work just fine. but it has been reported with beer brewers that it can result in a "weaker" taste. my guess would be that the other gasses in our atmosphere also dissolve in the wart and add flavor. i do not know if this is also true with meed.

Quick Reply