Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Any Ideas?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2008, 04:27 AM   #1
bluespook
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Any Ideas?

The wife and I just returned from a trip to Alabama (the land of illegal home brewing). On the way home, we stopped at a roadside stand so SWMBO could have some nice peach ice cream...and I found blackberry and muscadine ciders (not pasteurized). On a whim, I picked up a liter of each. A muscadine (never heard of it before this) is in the grape family, a bit larger, and isn't the most exciting thing I've ever put in my mouth (by far, actually). Anyway, anyone have any ideas on what I could do with these in a mead??

Blue

It is what it is...a stress-relieving philosophy for a long life!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2008, 05:40 AM   #2
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
and isn't the most exciting thing I've ever put in my mouth
hehehehe

I really have nothing of value to add
Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Old 08-27-2008, 05:42 AM   #3
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I do.
Wine=Good
Cider = Better
Mead = GREAT!

What a find!

Good Going.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:41 PM   #4
dudasaj
Dude

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluespook View Post
.....A muscadine (never heard of it before this) is in the grape family, a bit larger, and isn't the most exciting thing I've ever put in my mouth (by far, actually). Anyway, anyone have any ideas on what I could do with these in a mead??
I think I heard a song once about muscadine wine. I think it was by this guy Hank Williams Jr, ever hear of him?

Anyways...

The fresh grape is available in September and October like most American grown grapes. They make muscadine juice white or colored. They most frequently use scuppernong because they are one of the sweetest varities of muscadine.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:47 PM   #5
will_cbe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Muscadine grapes make a good wine. I imagine it would make a good mead.

Welcome to San Sebastian Winery

Although, when I was there, the gentleman that I asked said that they had zero interest in making mead. Hmph.

Will
www.comicsbyemail.com
Fermenting: Blackberry Wine
Aging: Mulberry Wine, Mint Mead, Dandelion Wine, Mesquite Mead
Drinking: Apfelwein
On Hand: Peach Mango Wine, Huck's Cider, Mulberry Mead, Orange Spice Mead, Cyser, Apfelwein, Maple Cinnamon Mead, Hard Cider, Brown Sugar Cider

Old 08-27-2008, 08:48 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

IIRC Muscadine concentrate is one of the ingrediantes DFH Midas Touch (or the clone)

It's used in making desert wines as well...

Quote:
Muscadines have been used for making commercial fine wines and port wines dating back to the 16th Century in and around St. Augustine, Florida. Today, vineyards throughout the Southeast produce muscadine wines of various qualities. The typical muscadine wine is sweet because vintners traditionally add sugar during the winemaking process; the wine is often considered a dessert wine although some drier varieties exist. The term scuppernong refers to a large bronze type of muscadine originally grown in North Carolina; it is also used in making wine, principally dry red table wine.

While not one of the most widely marketed varietals produced, the visibility of muscadine wine has benefited from the discovery that it appears to provide greater amounts of antioxidants than many better-known red wines. In particular, muscadine wines (both red and white) contain over five times more resveratrol than ordinary red wines: more than 40 mg/L compared to between 0.2 and 5.8 mg/L.

Because grape vines synthesize resveratrol as a defense, it has been claimed in sales literature that the use of pesticides greatly reduces the grape's resveratrol content; however, scientific studies either find no correlation between pesticide use and resveratrol, or find that pesticide use has only a weak effect.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-27-2008, 09:26 PM   #7
BigKahuna

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Start adding honey till the gravity hits 1.090, then add nutrients, energizer, and some D-47, give it 4 or 6 ( or 19 or 12) months and you'll have a nice mead to share with SWMBO!

Old 08-28-2008, 02:55 AM   #8
bluespook
Recipes 

Thanks all--Scuppernong was also available, but, never having heard of it either, I decided to go with my gut which said that "scuppernong" was some German slang for some kind of really bad sh#t found at the bottom of some really nasty processing equipment...likely made of wood and very very old!

I think I'll go with the mead idea. BK seems to have good instincts about mead, most of the time. And, I'll go with 12 months, because, even though I'm an optimist, it's almost impossible for me to believe that anything 19 months out is a certainty.

Blue

It is what it is...a stress-relieving philosophy for a long life!

Old 08-28-2008, 03:43 AM   #9
HarvInSTL

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by will_cbe View Post
Muscadine grapes make a good wine. I imagine it would make a good mead.

Welcome to San Sebastian Winery

Although, when I was there, the gentleman that I asked said that they had zero interest in making mead. Hmph.
I was at that winery 4 or 5 years ago. They put out some decent wine and the Vintners White/Red were a decent sweet table wine.

Off topic: If you get a chance try their Port. I was amazed and want to make some now!

Secondary: 9/9/9/-My version, Carbernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Raspberry Melomel

On deck: Tripel, 5 day IPA Squared, White Russian Imperial Stout

Live in Saint Louis, MO? Then check out www.stlbrews.org and www.garagebrewers.com

Old 08-28-2008, 01:16 PM   #10
will_cbe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarvInSTL View Post
I was at that winery 4 or 5 years ago. They put out some decent wine and the Vintners White/Red were a decent sweet table wine.

Off topic: If you get a chance try their Port. I was amazed and want to make some now!
I enjoy the vintner's red. And I did get a bottle of the port when I was down there. Sadly, it has been drunk.

Will
www.comicsbyemail.com
Fermenting: Blackberry Wine
Aging: Mulberry Wine, Mint Mead, Dandelion Wine, Mesquite Mead
Drinking: Apfelwein
On Hand: Peach Mango Wine, Huck's Cider, Mulberry Mead, Orange Spice Mead, Cyser, Apfelwein, Maple Cinnamon Mead, Hard Cider, Brown Sugar Cider

Quick Reply