Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Any advice on making spicy (as in spicy hot) meads?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2011, 08:02 PM   #11
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

All you need to do is cut up your peppers and drop them in when before you pitch your yeast. I just tasted some Habenero Mead that we made during my big barleywine and mead brew day in September. We just bottled the habanero and the brochet (burnt mead.) The mead made with 50 year old honey turned to vinegar.

All he did was slice one or two up and drop the pieces in.

He did a gallon seeded and one with the seeds left in, and the ones with the seeds removed was less hotter and a little more "fruity" tasting. It's not my scene, it was fun to taste but it was pretty much a novelty. I couldn't see myself drinking more than an ounce or so straight. It's a nice novelty but unless it was mixed in a mixed drink or something, it's not something I would drink a lot of.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2011, 08:37 PM   #12
Good4TheCompany
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here is the pic I took when making my Habanero Cap, I put 3 cut in half, removed seeds (so when i rack/bottle they aren't annoying) but tried to leave some veins.

Sorry for my stupid shaky pic!

Old 05-04-2011, 09:50 PM   #13
Tomerwt
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Hey, I've brewed some chilibeer using chilipeppers about a year ago, and i must warn you: Take it REALLY easy on the peppers, whichever drink you are making. My chilibeer contained only 2 or 3 peppers in 10L, and it came out so hot 'n spicey, it's impossible to drink more than one sip!

Old 05-04-2011, 10:01 PM   #14
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4959 Times on 4523 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncHellMatt View Post
Last night I just couldn't resist and took a nibble. Mind you, I go into Indian restaurants and essentially tell them "Make it hot for me like you would a Pisano", often getting looks like I must be a crazy American who has no idea what he's getting himself into.

It was like pouring molten lava in my mouth. I was in heaven.
No. They were giving you looks cause they don't understand what Italian has to do with Spicy food.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:28 AM   #15
frogguruami
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I do a Habanero mead and use 9 peppers per 5 gallon batch. The Thai Chili mead I did was 12 peppers in 1 gallon and the ghost pepper mead I used around 3 peppers in a one gallon batch.

The meads are very spicy and VERY popular at the beer festivals we go to.

I have added pepper both when I pitched yeast and in secondary and it hasn't made a bit of difference.

I freeze the peppers first to rupture the cell walls. That helps bring out the flavor of the pepper, not just the heat. Each pepper has a different flavor and you can really tell the difference between them.

And I ALWAYS leave the seeds in.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:47 AM   #16
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm a hothead myself, grow superhots at home and make my own sauces. However, I'd go sparingly with the dried jolokias, or the smokey flavor will likely overpower any of the sweet notes of the mead. I think fresh peppers might be better for a capsicumel.

However, I've been thinking about doing a pepper vodka, and think the dried pnes will be perfect for that.

I've got a pound of dried jolokias downstairs, most of them will get mixed into sauces, but will probably make a vodka soon.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:26 AM   #17
Insomniac
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Sorry for the tangent here, but any good recipes for the sauces? Never made a sauce and need to do something with my nagas when they're ready!

Old 05-05-2011, 11:30 AM   #18
UncHellMatt
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
No. They were giving you looks cause they don't understand what Italian has to do with Spicy food.
hehehe, I was kidding on the pisano I generally just tell them not to worry, that I like it as hot as any of them can eat it. Several times chefs have actually come out and admitted they made it hotter just to bust my chops, only to have me complimenting them if it was well made. Just spicy does not a good vindaloo make!

Thanks everyone for the advice on how to implement the peppers. I think I'm going to hold off on using the dried peppers because, as noted by usfmikeb, I've been reading that the dried ones impart a very smokey flavor. I might use a few chunks in there, but will try and get the most fresh hot peppers I can find, most likely habanero.

Insomniac, I'll dig up my recipes for Indian style sauces and get them to you. One was emailed to me by some women who make YouTube videos called "Show Me The Curry", and the other given to me by my downstairs neighbor's mom. One is a more Goa Indian style vindaloo, and the other a Mirchi Ka Salan, a sesame peanut sauce that's just brilliant.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:10 PM   #19
Insomniac
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Oooo, that peanut one certainly sounds interesting!

Old 05-05-2011, 02:34 PM   #20
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4959 Times on 4523 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncHellMatt View Post
hehehe, I was kidding on the pisano I generally just tell them not to worry, that I like it as hot as any of them can eat it. Several times chefs have actually come out and admitted they made it hotter just to bust my chops, only to have me complimenting them if it was well made. Just spicy does not a good vindaloo make!
I agree. My wife is Malay and I often put her to shame with my heat tolerence. A nice, super spicey, Beef Rendang (prepared properly) hits the spot everytime.

Anymore, there isn't much I eat that isn't adulterated with some form of pepper.

Quick Reply