Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Any advice on making spicy (as in spicy hot) meads?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
UncHellMatt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Any advice on making spicy (as in spicy hot) meads?

Cheers folks.

I just came into possession of a bag filled with Indian ghost peppers (AKA Bhut Jolokia, 1,041,427 SHU), and while most I'll use in chili and some curries, I got the idea to try some out in a relatively sweet mead. These are dried peppers, and I'm curious if anyone has advice on how to introduce the peppers to mead: In the must, or boil in water then mixed with honey, added to the fermenting carboy, ...?

A while back I was given a taste of some spicy mead at a small meadery in Portland ME, and it was quite tasty though not something I'd call particularly hot. I figure as long as I have these lovelies, I might as well do something fun beyond just cooking!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2011, 01:59 PM   #2
Insomniac
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I would make sure you've tried the peppers before you make a mead with them, those are some nasty peppers you have there, it would be really easy to over do it! I'm actually growing some dorset nagas at home and have no idea what to do with them so would be interested to know what you end up doing! I would start with a tiny amount at the start and taste after fermentation and see if it needs any more at that point and add only realy, realy small amounts at a time.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:04 PM   #3
UncHellMatt
Recipes 

Last night I just couldn't resist and took a nibble. Mind you, I go into Indian restaurants and essentially tell them "Make it hot for me like you would a Pisano", often getting looks like I must be a crazy American who has no idea what he's getting himself into.

It was like pouring molten lava in my mouth. I was in heaven.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:08 PM   #4
Insomniac
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Haha, well as long as you know what your getting yourself into!

Old 05-04-2011, 02:24 PM   #5
BrewerJosh
Recipes 

It sounds like this won't be an issue for you, but make sure that you like how chillies/peppers smell and taste. I tried making a jalapeno capsicumel last July after reading the below thread on a habanero one. And it turned out OK, but the nose and taste is all pepper with no heat whatsoever. I'm going to save a bottle to see what it's like in another year or so, with any luck the honey will come back (it finished dry, .996 I think, which may be part of the problem) and the heat will develop.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f80/haba...sicumel-60272/

Old 05-04-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
UncHellMatt
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewerJosh View Post
It sounds like this won't be an issue for you, but make sure that you like how chillies/peppers smell and taste. I tried making a jalapeno capsicumel last July after reading the below thread on a habanero one. And it turned out OK, but the nose and taste is all pepper with no heat whatsoever. I'm going to save a bottle to see what it's like in another year or so, with any luck the honey will come back (it finished dry, .996 I think, which may be part of the problem) and the heat will develop.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f80/haba...sicumel-60272/
AH! Thanks very much for that link!

I do like the taste of peppers, however that's why I was going to go for fairly sweet, high alcohol, say 36oz mesquite honey per gallon and a champagne yeast.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:43 PM   #7
Good4TheCompany
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I loosely based my current Habanero off of that thread . Though I went with about a pound less honey and 3 habaneros, actually I just tasted it last night and its great! The current sweetness does cut down the heat though, but I plan to leave the peppers in the whole time, and will just cut it with my plain mead I'm doing if it ends up too spicy (but I'm thinking it still might not be enough).

I'm very interested in your results because I love spicy stuff, and want to try more capsicumels but am unsure about which peppers, personally don't like Jalapenos too much, they have heat but their "flavor" isn't something I like much of not that it stops me from loading them into food . I was thinking of trying the Thai chilies next, but might stick with the habaneros if it comtinues to impress me. I'm interested in doing a spicy mango mead, love those Mexican lollipops, and I might be able to get some avocado honey soon (which I think should go well with capsicumels).

Old 05-04-2011, 05:03 PM   #8
UncHellMatt
Recipes 

Oh indeed, I'll post what I use for a recipe and some pics.

Actually I decided I'll use a few for something else. I figure I'll take a bottle of cheap, not too flavorful vodka, pour that into a jug with a few handfuls of of raspberries, some dark chocolate, and a couple of those peppers. Steep it for about 60 days or so, strain and bottle. Maybe add a little simple syrup. I figure the results will be something quite tasty just before your face spontaneously combusts.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:06 PM   #9
Insomniac
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I'm concidering doing a capsicumell at some point (though not yet, other things to make first!), I was vaguelly thinking of using "roquito", but it's a brand name, and no one seems to know what they actually are! Maybe Rocotillo, but it's realy hard to tell, either way, they are really sweet peppers that still have enough heat behind them. Maybe a couple of those along with half a scotch bonnet would do the trick.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:51 PM   #10
HopSecret
Recipes 

My girlfriend has done a number of capsumels. She has used Habenero, Thai Hot, and Bhut Jolokia. The habenero has become a signature item at local beer festivals and homebrew events when our club serves and has a fairly rabid following. When she gets home, I'll see if I can get her to come comment and offer a bit of advice.

Quick Reply