Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Amount of lees in batch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2009, 02:04 AM   #1
rsmith179
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Amount of lees in batch

Quick question for you all... I'm going to be making my first batches of mead with my Dad coming up here in the next 2 weeks. Been reading alot and the FAQs are fantastic. I just had a question regarding the amount of lees at the bottom of the primary and secondary. Basically, in a 1 gallon batch, how much can you expect to lose from transfering to secondary? I'm contemplating doing a 1.5 gallon batch just to compensate for losses. Any tricks/advice would be appreciated!

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2009, 04:17 AM   #2
patrick767
Recipes 

I believe a lot of people top it off after racking using either water if they think it's plenty sweet already or alternatively more honey dissolved in water. I'd like the experienced mead folks to comment though as I'll be looking at the same issue when I rack my current batches.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:57 PM   #3
will_cbe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

When I make gallon batches, I get about 1/2 inch of lees after primary. That's on the bottom of a 1 gallon apple juice jug. FYI, it's not critical you leave 100% of the lees in primary. It'll be fine if you happen to suck up a little. They'll settle out by the time you're ready.

Will
www.comicsbyemail.com
Fermenting: Blackberry Wine
Aging: Mulberry Wine, Mint Mead, Dandelion Wine, Mesquite Mead
Drinking: Apfelwein
On Hand: Peach Mango Wine, Huck's Cider, Mulberry Mead, Orange Spice Mead, Cyser, Apfelwein, Maple Cinnamon Mead, Hard Cider, Brown Sugar Cider

Old 09-04-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6350 Times on 5497 Posts
Likes Given: 858

since 1 gallon = 128oz; in theory, you should get ten 12 oz bottles of mead out of a gallon batch. Due to loses from racking/sampling, I usually get 9.

You will lose some due to racking, and since you want to minimize headspace, you should look at topping of or other techniques to cut the oxidation chances during the nice long secondary

Old 09-04-2009, 11:55 PM   #5
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
since 1 gallon = 128oz; in theory, you should get ten 12 oz bottles of mead out of a gallon batch. Due to loses from racking/sampling, I usually get 9.

You will lose some due to racking, and since you want to minimize headspace, you should look at topping of or other techniques to cut the oxidation chances during the nice long secondary
those numbers sound similar to my experience. a mini autosiphon will help you get as much as possible. regular auto siphon usually can't fit inside the mouth of 1 gallon jugs.
Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 09-04-2009, 11:57 PM   #6
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6350 Times on 5497 Posts
Likes Given: 858

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore View Post
those numbers sound similar to my experience. a mini autosiphon will help you get as much as possible. regular auto siphon usually can't fit inside the mouth of 1 gallon jugs.
good point to include the mini auto siphon - I forgot to include that. They are absolutely neccessary for small batches.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:09 AM   #7
rsmith179
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Right on! Thanks for the advice regarding the mini-auto... Def. gotta pick that up when I make it to the LHBS. Can't wait to get started on the batches.

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Old 09-05-2009, 01:33 AM   #8
summersolstice
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

I always make more in the primary so I'll have enough for racking. I usually make 1.5 gallons in the primary for a 1-gallon batch. I don't like topping with water.

Quick Reply