HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > All three of my first meads have funny "flat soda" aftertaste. Is it fixable?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2010, 05:08 PM   #1
Emerald
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default All three of my first meads have funny "flat soda" aftertaste. Is it fixable?

I have two cysers and one white grape/peach mead that have cleared and I have them aging under airlocks in the gallons(all one gallon sized batches) While they taste very good, But hot, there is a bit of a "flat soda/carb taste" will this age out or does it need to be degassed? I am planning on aging them for several more months in the gallon jugs before bottling and wonder if I should add any of the sulfiting agents to remove this taste before I bottle.
The only way I know to describe this is like when i buy just fizzy water at the store and when the fizz goes out of say 1/2 the bottle it is the same taste, not bad or anything just not the best.
Has anyone else had this happen?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2010, 05:21 PM   #2
jezter6
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sounds like they are just young and need to be degassed.

I'm lazy, so I just let mine sit (although at times I like the mild-fizzy taste as opposed to full on carbed). But, there are other ways -I think there's a thread called something like cheap and easy degasser which uses one of those vacuum seal things to pull out that CO2 stuck in solution and the other option I hear people talking about is using a wine whip or gentle stirring...but I've never done those methods, so I am not going to comment on their effectiveness.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:51 PM   #3
bubbachunk
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Sounds like trapped CO2. If you are going to age them for a few more months then I would not worry about degassing as it will occur naturally over time. If however they still have this taste months down the road I would look into a hand held vacuum sealer that can be used as a degasser.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:32 PM   #4
Emerald
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for the replies- I was hoping it was just trapped gas! I have a food saver with the hose attachment and I can just use that in one of the drilled rubber stoppers to "suck" that trapped gas out, but I think that I will save that until after they age a bit and if they still have that funky flat soda taste. I guess my best bet is patience. but, that is really hard!

Quick Reply