Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Alcohal content decreases

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 02:07 AM   #11
nitack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunaquar
I am pretty sure that raw honey has the yeast itself. We add more yeast just to speed up the fermentation. Naturally water content is less than 17% , once we increases that after diluting, fermentation starts with lots of shaking initially.
Yes, there is likely a few wild yeast cells in any given raw honey sample. However, those few cells must compete with everything else also in that honey, and they are statistically unlikely to come out on top. You turned your must into a giant battle field with thousands of different troops, all on different sides. You're betting that the one guy you want to win will come out alive and kill everyone else.

Even if the few wild yeast cells that may be in the honey do come out on top, there is no guarantee that they are even a suitable strain for making a drinkable mead. There are tens of thousands of strains of yeast, and only a handful are actually good at making a decent drink.

You'll waste your time and money trying to cultivate wild yeast on this. Spend a dollar for a packet of good yeast and you'll be much happier in the long run.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 02:48 AM   #12
Sunaquar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Thanks I completely understand. I will try the yeast next time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply