Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Aging

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2009, 07:01 PM   #1
DuffmanAK
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Aging

So, still new to meads as a whole. I have a mead in a carboy now that I made back in December. It's looking pretty clear, and I'm now debating what to do. I don't have a corker, but I do have lots of beer bottles, so I'm thinking to just use the beer bottles for the mead. My question is, would there be any negative to bottling in beer bottles, and let it age more?

I'm trying to free up a fermentor to get another beer started is why I'm asking. Or is there some reason I should leave it in a carboy to age a bit longer?

Thanks!

The only, only time you should dump a brew is if you've finished it, bottled and aged it, tried it and nearly vomited, aged it for twice that long again, tried it again and nearly vomited again. It's damn hard to ruin beer. I've managed once.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2009, 09:39 PM   #2
BBBF
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Some people like to bulk age because it will keep the bottles consistant and/or allow them to tweek the flavor of the aged mead. If your mead is done fermenting and clear, you can go ahead and bottle. Beer bottles are alright.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:07 AM   #3
DuffmanAK
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Good deal, thanks.

Now I have a project for tonight

The only, only time you should dump a brew is if you've finished it, bottled and aged it, tried it and nearly vomited, aged it for twice that long again, tried it again and nearly vomited again. It's damn hard to ruin beer. I've managed once.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:19 AM   #4
Matrix4b
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts

I use beer bottles. 12 oz. It is just the right amount. I cap it. A caper is cheap and the caps are bought by the pound. So less expense, job done.

Quick Reply