Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > agave mead?!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2008, 02:35 AM   #21
ben the brewman
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Juices ferment for 30 to 48 hours then they are distilled twice in traditional copper stills or more modern ones made of stainless steel or in continuous distillation towers. The first distillation produces a low-grade alcohol and the second a fiery colorless liquid that is later blended before being bottled. Alcohol content may be between 70 and 110 Proof. At this moment the liquor is no longer mezcal but tequila.

that is straight off of this web site http://www.itequila.org/made.htm

the bottles of blue agave nectar that i have are 100% blue agave nectar and thats the only ingerident so i would say the juice from the blue agave plant is a syrup like substance. you are correct a batch of fermented agave is mezcal but a distilled batch of mezcal is tequila just as stated above.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2008, 02:45 AM   #22
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 603 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 54

The sweet agave nectar that most folks are referring to here is a filtered and processed product. The basis for the wash used in making tequila contains ground up plant cores and is not heat processed or purified in any way, hence the additional flavor.

But, we're not after tequila here, we're discussing a mead-like wine from commercially available processed agave nectar. All of the reading I've done in addition to the ACTUAL flavor of the agave nectar suggests that the resulting beverage will be largely neutral in flavor, NOT tequila or mezcal flavored.

Last edited by Yuri_Rage; 04-09-2008 at 02:48 AM.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:20 AM   #23
ben the brewman
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

http://www.amazon.com/Sunfood-Nutrit.../dp/B0007XC9JU

check out the website above it has unfiltered dark blue agave nectar. is this what your looking for to make a more flavorful mead, wine, or mezcal what ever you want to call it.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:40 AM   #24
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

I just did a little searching on http://homedistiller.org to see if any of our underground compatriots have tried using this stuff. It seems that a few folks have had some success at making flavorful drinks from the darker grades of agave nectar. I stand corrected that it's possible to get some tequila flavor from agave nectar - just not the really light stuff that's sold as a table sugar/honey substitute.

This company
makes an agave wine from an organic product like ben posted above.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:45 AM   #25
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

One of those articles is quite intriguing. I will definitely have to look into their meads, you are one of several people I have seen on here recommending their product.

Found this most interesting: " By Mexican law, only mezcal made with over 50 percent blue agave in towns around Jalisco state can be called tequila."

So tequila to mezcal as cognac is to brandy?

Old 04-11-2008, 04:07 PM   #26
GinKings
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

I made an agave mead last summer. It's still in a carboy, but it tastes pretty good already. I used 12 lbs of mesquite honey and 9 lbs of amber blue agave syrup (from Amazon) in a 6 1/2 gallon batch with an OG of 1.120. I used the amber because I thought it would have more flavor than the light syrup. The agave added a nice, mild flavor to the mead that is similar to tequila.

Old 04-11-2008, 04:24 PM   #27
wihophead
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusch
One of those articles is quite intriguing. I will definitely have to look into their meads, you are one of several people I have seen on here recommending their product.

Found this most interesting: " By Mexican law, only mezcal made with over 50 percent blue agave in towns around Jalisco state can be called tequila."

So tequila to mezcal as cognac is to brandy?
Exactly, to add to this.......anything less then 100% blue agave is a mixto and if it is 100% blue agave it will always say so on the bottle if it doesn't say 100% blue agave it is considered a mixto.

One of my friends parents live in Mexico and I now have a nice little collection of very good Tequila.... he had a party a couple weeks ago and we drank 2 bottles of Cielo Blanco Tequila.....

Old 04-11-2008, 06:45 PM   #28
nsrstka
Recipes 

Default Tried a small batch of Agave/Honey Mead

I made a 3 gallon batch of Agave/Wildflower Honey mead on New Year's Day and split it into 3 one gallon batches. I tossed a different yeast into each one. 1. Montrachet 2. Lalvin K1V-1116 3. Lalvin 71B-1112. The original gravity was around 1.115 (equal parts honey and agave syrup). After 3 months, the stuff is tasting pretty good. The Montrachet one is tasting great! I don't know that I would honestly be able to tell that it was Agave nectar in there if I didn't know it, but there is a little something different to them.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:26 PM   #29
Uncle Fat
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Mountain Meadows makes an Agave Mead. I've had a bottle and was pleasantly surprised. At first, the Agave is a little hard to take, but after the first couple of sips, you start to taste the complexity, and it's quite nice.

www.liquidsolutions.biz/product/655333057506.htm

Our beverage that art in kegs,
Hallowed be thy tap,
With thee supplied, we will imbibe,
At home as we do in the public house.
Give us this day our liquid bread
And forgive us our spills
As we forgive those who spill upon us.
Lead us not unto hangovers
But deliver us from overindulgence.
Ahh Malt.

Buy a man a beer and he wastes an hour. Teach a man to brew and he wastes a lifetime.
-annonymous

Old 04-11-2008, 08:54 PM   #30
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

I've had agave wine margaritas at a few places in NM. The flavor was great, but I've never been able to find agave wine, even at the local wineries there. I'm beginning to wonder if its made from a similar agave product. I think I've gone from naysayer to having a desire to brew a batch!

Quick Reply