Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Adding vanilla extract to mead??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2012, 05:00 AM   #1
baker1234
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Adding vanilla extract to mead??

Hey guys,
Just wondering if this would be a good idea. I was thinking about making a new batch of mead with some great value (walmart brand) vanilla extract to make it more of a honey/vanilla mead. What do you guys think? Will it work? Will it have some vanilla flavor at the end??

Thanks for everyones help,

Baker

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2012, 05:12 AM   #2
Zbay
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I don't see why it wont work but I'm not an expert about these things. I am doing a cherry vinnilla mead right now but my plan is to split a whole bean and put it in the secondary. I think I read that on storm the castle or another place like that. Well good luck on your project.
zbay

Old 03-12-2012, 05:40 AM   #3
MasterJeem
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I read on a message board months ago about the extract doing something that spoiled the batch, but I can't remember the entire context. I personally have been splitting the beans and tossing them in the secondaries. Can't go wrong with the real deal, right?

Old 03-12-2012, 06:11 AM   #4
Doomsday
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Many people have used extract.

I personally have yet to use it.
Have a blueberry vanilla going right now, used 2 whole beans split and scraped.

Go into the recipe section on mead and you will find plenty of recipes that use extract.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:27 AM   #5
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 39

When I made my Vanilla Cream Ale I added 2oz of extract to 5 gallons when I bottled. The results were amazing!!! I have to give a lot of credit to the extract though. It was a bourbon vanilla extract, made in Texas with a Mexican label that said "vainilla". I would LOVE to get another bottle of that stuff!

Old 03-12-2012, 10:42 AM   #6
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 746 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 1952

Quote:
Originally Posted by baker1234 View Post
Hey guys,
Just wondering if this would be a good idea. I was thinking about making a new batch of mead with some great value (walmart brand) vanilla extract to make it more of a honey/vanilla mead. What do you guys think? Will it work? Will it have some vanilla flavor at the end??

Thanks for everyones help,

Baker
You might want to check that vanilla extract, a LOT of vanilla extract is artificially flavoured, especially the cheaper stuff.

I'd go with real vanilla beans, split & added to the must. It might cost you a couple dollars more to do it that way, but I think your end product will be much better for it.
Regards, GF.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:17 PM   #7
TheBrewingMedic
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

like GF mentioned, be cautious and if you really want to go the extract route, make sure its real vanilla not the artificial stuff. It can also be very easily overpowering something about the chemistry of how the beans are steeped in grain alcohol helps it take over in a lot of things, so you may want to consider adding it in small doses let it mingle a bit then do taste tests til you get to the level you want.

Personally I prefer using real beans as well, they can be pricey in most stores but if you take a few minutes and search online, amazon often has great deals, you can get them reasonably. Even going with grade b madagascar (the ones they use to make the extracts) which are a little less expensive but work fine.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #8
Arpolis
Recipes 

Liked 182 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I have a metheglin that had "honey vanilla chamomile" tea cold steeped in the must and when I could taste absolutely no vanilla in the mead I added 2 small cap fulls of real vanilla extract. My friend tried it and said it was great! I bottled right after that addition and I plan to crack that open in about mid May.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 03-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #9
baker1234
Recipes 

Thanks so so much for your fast responses. And reading through them I think I'm just going with a vanilla bean sounds like a safer way to do it and has more successful chance at working.

Thanks again,

Baker

Old 03-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #10
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Well, I'd guess some of it is about location. Here, if its artificial flavouring, its on the label, if it says extract, then it must be just that. But in any case, I make it myself. I've currently got 100 grade A vanilla pods steeping in half a gallon of vodka.

After all, you want the flavour, not the pods or seeds. It means I add it when I need to, a tiny amount at a time, tasting in between to achieve the desired level.....

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Quick Reply