Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Adding ginger to cyser in secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2010, 01:54 AM   #1
ciderslug
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Adding ginger to cyser in secondary

I've got a small batch of cyser in the secondary for about 6 weeks now, but I'm wishing I had added more ginger at the start. Is it too late to add more ginger at this phase? I may rack off this weekend and bulk age in gallon jugs, and was thinking of adding more ginger at that point. Is this feasible? Any suggestions on how to do it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2010, 04:16 AM   #2
Nath
Recipes 

I have been experimenting with a one gallon batch of Nettles & Ginger wine, when it came time to rack it off the lees, the ginger taste wasn't as strong as I'd like.
What I did was to thinly shave about 5 oz fresh ginger root(I probably used about 13oz total, I really like ginger) and boiled it with some water, making a ginger tea. I added the ginger to my new secondary, then racked the wine into it, then used the ginger tea to top up the secondary. After a week, I racked the wine off of the ginger to a jug to age.
Not sure if it's the best way to add more ginger flavor, but it seemed to work for me.

On Deck - Juneberry Wine, Mulberry Mead, Lilac Wine, Blackberry & Dandelion Wine
Primary -Lappish Hag's Love Potion, Frozen Strawberry Wine, Dandelion Mead
Secondary - Dandelion Wine, Ginger & Nettles Wine, JAOM
Newly Bottled - Mulberry Wine, Juneberry Wine

Old 07-18-2010, 04:46 PM   #3
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 26

the hotest/strongest part of the ginger root, is, apparently, the outer part of the root.

So I'd say that if you just soaked a piece so that you can use a kitchen scouring pad type thing to scrub the skin off it, then just grate it coarsely and add it in.

that should do the trick.

Or you can get ginger extract concentrate and just add a teaspoon and then taste it to see if it's up to the flavour you're looking for....

The last time I made a ginger wine, I used way too much (about 4lb in 3 gallons) and it tasted a little bland, but the ginger taste had increased with ageing, so now it's been back sweetened a lot to make it like "stones ginger wine". I'm quite pleased with it.

So either way, don't go over the top or you might taste all ginger and no apple/honey.....

regards

fatbloke...

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Old 07-19-2010, 12:27 PM   #4
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 793 Times on 552 Posts
Likes Given: 2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciderslug View Post
I've got a small batch of cyser in the secondary for about 6 weeks now, but I'm wishing I had added more ginger at the start. was thinking of adding more ginger at that point. Is this feasible? Any suggestions on how to do it?
In short: Yes.

I'd rack onto peeled, sliced fresh ginger, though you could also grate it if you wanted. I've also simmered sliced ginger in a small amount of water & racked onto that. I think the best results are from combining these 2 methods. That's my 2 cents worth. Regards, GF.

Quick Reply