Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Adding blackberries to a Mead that's 3 1/2 months old

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2008, 02:11 AM   #1
devaspawn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Adding blackberries to a Mead that's 3 1/2 months old

So I've got a 5 gallon Mead that I made on 4/27/08. I transferred it off the yeast on 7/5/08 with SG of 1.011. This had 15 lbs of honey, water, and whitelabs sweet mead yeast and started at 1.116. My wife just got 2 lbs of blacksberries and I was wondering if it is too late to put those in another carboy and transfer the mead on top of it? Would it ferment out those sugars in the fruit? Is it too late for the blackberry flavor to get into the mead? How long should I leave the mead on top of the blackberries if you think I should do this?

Thanks

Prim 1: Ogre's Inverted Extra Red Ale
Prim 2: Ogre's Hair of the Dog Imperial Amber Ale
Prim 3: Ogre's Relaxed APA
Sec 1: Honey Blonde Ale with Hefe Yeast
Sec 2: Scotch Wee Heavy
Sec 3: Ogre's Simple Mead
Keg 1: Ogre's Brown Ale
Keg 2: Ogre's Extra Red Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2008, 03:11 AM   #2
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

From everything we've done, this is the perfect time to put the mead on fruit.... in the secondary.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:22 AM   #3
devaspawn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well technically I would be racking the mead onto the fruit in Tertiary. There gonna be enough yeast you think to be able to handle that? Is 2 lbs of blackberry enough? I mean I know some fruits give mellower tastes based on volume than others. Should I pop those berries into the freezer now and how long should I do that for?

Old 08-04-2008, 04:18 AM   #4
tooomanycolors
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

technicalitys, the 2lbs wont add that much sugar goto gotmead.com and use their mead calculator to get a rough idea of how much it will add. as for how to add them I would get a spice bag, one of those cheese cloth things, and put your berries into a blender or food processor then pour into the bad and add that to your mead. leave there for 3-4 months or so then remove the bag a couple days before you want to bottle. the bag should keep all the seeds contained and make clearing much easier. As for fermenting if you move to a tertiary most of your yeast should have fallen out so you could aggitate it when you transfer to maybe get more fermentation and as to quantity I would suggest at least 6lbs and closer to 8 if you have the space.

Primary: Belgian Triple Braggot (6gallons), Lambic Braggot (6gallons), Habanero melomel(6gallons)

Secondary: Peach melomel (5 Gallons)

It seems like a FOX TV Show when a mead maker moves in with an AG brewer....They end up with **** like Lambic Braggot.
-BigKahuna

Old 08-04-2008, 04:56 AM   #5
devaspawn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well maybe this will be a multi-berry mead if you don't think 2 lbs will add anything at all to the flavor. I plan on getting a 6.5 gallon carboy this week. I got the cheesecloth thing but how do you get it in the neck of the carboy? Also, should I freeze before using the blender? I have read a few times (I think) that the freezing process ruptures the skin of the fruit. I guess now that I think about it blending it would shred the skin. Durrr...

Anyway, can you get a cheesecloth from the local grocery store, you think?

Thanks,

Old 08-04-2008, 05:36 AM   #6
tooomanycolors
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I never said it wouldnt add anything just that it would be really faint, what kind of honey did you use?

dont freeze it esp if you are gonna blend them, im not sure what other methods would rupture more walls. and to get the bag in I would stuff the bag in the carboy then use a funnel and pour the juice into the bag, the bag should only really be there to help keep it relatively clear by removing the seeds from the mead.

By the way doing this while "sampling" my grapefruit and holiday spice mead.

Primary: Belgian Triple Braggot (6gallons), Lambic Braggot (6gallons), Habanero melomel(6gallons)

Secondary: Peach melomel (5 Gallons)

It seems like a FOX TV Show when a mead maker moves in with an AG brewer....They end up with **** like Lambic Braggot.
-BigKahuna

Old 08-04-2008, 04:51 PM   #7
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 721 Times on 503 Posts
Likes Given: 1814

Quote:
Originally Posted by devaspawn View Post
Well technically I would be racking the mead onto the fruit in Tertiary. There gonna be enough yeast you think to be able to handle that? Is 2 lbs of blackberry enough? I mean I know some fruits give mellower tastes based on volume than others. Should I pop those berries into the freezer now and how long should I do that for?

Hi devaspawn: I'd pop those berries in the freezer for a couple days & thaw them & let them come up to room temp, and put them in the blender. I'd probably add some pectic enzyme too, though only about 1/2 a measure. I've never used blackberries, but I've used blueberries & I was pleased with the use of 5lbs of frozen, pureed blueberries in secondary, though the berries did sort of overwhelm the honey, it was still tasty. I never took any SG readings after I added the fruit, but if I'd been smarter, I would've used a cheesecloth to keep the seeds & such contained. Hope you find this info useful, GF.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:10 AM   #8
devaspawn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This is great info guys. I really appreciate all of it. I used Clover honey from Costco or BJ's I believe.

What's the Pectic Enzyme supposed to do and is it necessary. Getting that is a trip for me and my SWMBO is already looking at me with that "This is becoming an expensive hobby," look.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:04 AM   #9
GinKings
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

The gas would cost more than the pectic enzyme. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Pectic enzyme is more important if you heated the fruit. Pectins set (think jam and jelly) when fruits are heated and can cause haze. Pick some up next time you go to your homebrew store for your next melomel. It's only a couple bucks.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:45 AM   #10
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by devaspawn View Post
How long should I leave the mead on top of the blackberries if you think I should do this?
Start with 2 weeks and go from there. It has always been the time frame I like. Longer isn't always better.

I think you should do this, and actually would like to see Pictures of it when you do.

Quick Reply