Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Add more yeast for bottle carbonation after bulk ageing for 2 years?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2012, 10:44 PM   #1
badnewsblair
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Add more yeast for bottle carbonation after bulk ageing for 2 years?

I have had my first mead (AZ_IPA's raspberry melamel) bulk ageing in a carboy for nearly 2 years now and I would like to carbonate some in bottles so I can give it to friends as a gift. Should I add additional yeast (maybe a champagne yeast?) at bottling time to ensure carbonation or would there still be enough live but maybe dormant yeast left to do the job? Anyone have some experience with this?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 12:14 AM   #2
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Generally speaking meads are served flat. Some sparkling do exist though... if you insist on carbonating I would use a champagne yeast like montrochet or Lavlin EC-1118 is pretty hardy. Make sure you rehydrate and I would not use a full packet. Maybe 1/4. make sure you rehydrate!

There are possibly still some yeast cells that are alive depending on the alcohol but there would definitely not be enough to carbonate nor would they be viable cells...Stick to fresh ones.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:19 AM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

The other thing to keep in mind is alcohol tolerance. Adding fresh yeast to a drink that is 14+% ABV still won't carbonate it- even a higher tolerance for the new yeast strain wouldn't necessarily work because yeast added to a high ABV drink will die of alcohol poisoning before replicating and being able to carbonate your mead.

It depends on the OG and the FG and the current ABV, but I probably wouldn't try to carbonate it as most likely the reason it stopped was because it had reached the "finish point" of the yeast strain.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:22 AM   #4
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Looking at the recipe used here, the OG/FG lead to a 12.5% final product. The yeast used has tolerance to 14%, so it *might* carbonate...

Old 11-26-2012, 01:29 AM   #5
badnewsblair
Recipes 

Thanks folks! From the sounds of it AZ_IPA's original melamel went over well when served carbonated so that's what got me thinking I should do the same. Perhaps for force carbonating with CO2 is the way to go for me, but admittedly I don't have much experience (and even less success) bottling from a keg.

Quick Reply