Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > is an acid blend in a hot and spicy mead needed?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2009, 06:57 AM   #1
sammykap
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default is an acid blend in a hot and spicy mead needed?

Hey all,

I'm brand new to mead making... my first batch of must has been in my primary for all of 10 hours. I'm making a hot and spicy mead, with the heat coming from cinnamon, cayenne powder, and those little red pepper flakes that go on pizzas.

My question is: is an acid blend (which from what i've read is to balance out the sweetness of the honey, like hops do for malt when making a beer) necessary or will the all the pepper and cinnamon be enough to balance out the mead? I've held off on adding the acid for now till the fermentation has finished. When the time comes around when I would add the acid blend the mead is probably going to taste pretty close to lighter fluid, so tasting it probably won't help me figure out if I need the acid or not.

Could anyone who's had experience making a hot mead tell me how adding acid to the recipe will affect the final taste after it's aged a few months?

Primary- Nothin
Secondary- Mango Chili Lime Meade
Bottle Conditioning- India Brown Ale
Drinking- Russian Imperial Stout

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee alot."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2009, 08:18 AM   #2
homebrewer_99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've always made my mead first then added the flavoring after it was done fermenting so I couldn't tell you, but yes, I did use acid blend in the boil.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply