Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > 5 gallon honey bucket

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2011, 06:55 AM   #11
tweake
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

the buckets are fine to use. that all i use myself. they are common in the food industry and used for all sorts.

personally i would not bother putting an air lock on it, just use open top style. but then again i would only use it for a fermenter, not for storage. the plastic is not really suitable for long term storage so not good to use as a carboy.
by not putting an air lock on you can use it for other things later.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2011, 12:10 PM   #12
WIMARIPA
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So you think the plastic is too porous to leave anything in it for a couple months. (such as my jaom batch which is already bubbling away).

I went with a grommet on the lid. I don't anticipate using the bucket for anything else but if I do I can always seal the top with that silicone we were talkin about earlier.

I'll see how thus batch turns out and if it's any good maybe I'll do a head to head batch with a better bottle to see how they compare...

Old 05-10-2011, 11:10 AM   #13
tweake
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

hard to say. usual advice i see is couple of months is getting to long. if its going to take that long its better in glass etc. however it just depends a bit on how much taste comes out of the plastic. that might depend a bit on how many brews it does before doing a very long brew.

Quick Reply