BrewHardware Giveaway- Winners Drawn - 24 hours to claim!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > 5 gallon honey bucket

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2011, 04:52 PM   #1
WIMARIPA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default 5 gallon honey bucket

I assume the bucket the honey comes in is food safe (if not we have a real problem). Has anybody every drilled a hole in the lid and used it as a 5 gallon fermenter? I'm out of fermenter space until my stuff clears and I get around to bottling, but I wanted to get some jaom going before it gets too hot.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2011, 06:46 PM   #2
Daedolon
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just got a 5 gallon bucket from a local bee keeper. The honey fills up to the rim of the bucket. My normal primaries have head space, which prevents overflow on what little foam might be made. So, if nothing else, I think mine would be a 4 gallon primary.

The plastic on there says it is #2 (rather, the recycling code). There have been plenty of discussions and links regarding BPA release. It seems, in my esteemed judgment, that #1 and #2 are more acceptable than #3-7 or "Other", but it is still a personal decision.

In my view, I drink from plenty of those little plastic water bottles (I'm sorry environment) - and we've all gotta die of something. Me? I'd do it. In fact, if I can figure out how to get a rubber grommet or other means for an airlock, I just might. To me, it sounds like a primary fermenter that I already bought.

I'm thinking a hole the same size as the stem on an airlock, combined with a dab of aquarium/food grade silicone up at the top of the airlock and it might just work. Not 100%, mind you, but better than nothing.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:23 PM   #3
WIMARIPA
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I like that idea of just using some silicone instead of having to buy a grommet. With that every time I finish a bucket I can have a new 4+ gallon primary

Old 05-08-2011, 08:49 PM   #4
Daedolon
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm hoping somebody has a better idea - but I'm actually thinking of just sacrificing an airlock and using silicone to attach it to the lid. $2 for a new 4+ primary ... sounds like good math to me. And that would reduce the need for food grade/aquarium silicone - it would never touch beer/mead/wine ... or the perpetual flow of skeeter pee that seems to be flowing through my house.

Very nice idea of using these buckets. Wish I had thought of it before I threw 2 of them out. <sigh>

Old 05-08-2011, 09:00 PM   #5
jeffd10
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Could you drill a hole a tad smaller than what you need and just JAM the airlock in? maybe make a foil tent and cover the airlock too....like a tee-pee or something

Primary 1: Shooting Range IPA
Primary 2: Checkered Pilsner
Primary 3: Marris Pale Ale

Tapped 1: RyeIPA
Tapped 2: Englishman in New York (Stout)

Sunnyside Ave Brewery

“ A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure. ”

— Czech Proverb

Old 05-08-2011, 09:03 PM   #6
northernlad
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The bucket is fine, provided your honey source isn't a cheap POS and reused a random bucket.
Drill a hole a smidge smaller than the size of your airlock and shove it in the hole. When you are done, pull it out and use it elsewhere. no sacrificing needed.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:20 PM   #7
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 179 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Better still, get the local HBS to punch the hole and fit the grommet when you're buying the grommet.

That's what I do, as he sells the lids with or without hole/grommet.

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Old 05-08-2011, 09:51 PM   #8
Daedolon
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I didn't even think of my LHBS. I imagine they are lazy and buy the lids with the grommet already in place, but a quick phone call will resolve that issue.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:06 PM   #9
Daedolon
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Or as somebody pointed out in this thread: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/airlock-grommet-119802/

A 3/8" grommet from Ace is cheap as heck - and buy a couple in case they get lost. Off to Ace I go.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:21 AM   #10
Beebe
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernlad View Post
The bucket is fine, provided your honey source isn't a cheap POS and reused a random bucket.
Drill a hole a smidge smaller than the size of your airlock and shove it in the hole. When you are done, pull it out and use it elsewhere. no sacrificing needed.
And no need for silicone! It does not take much to make a seal in one of those plastic lids!

Go for it!

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS