The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > 4th mead - Pineapple/Mango

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2012, 04:13 AM   #1
DrVertebrae
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default 4th mead - Pineapple/Mango

This one has been in the planning stages for a while. It is made with 6 1/2 pounds of local Texas unfiltered or processed honey to a two gallon volume.

3/12/2012 - I dropped about a cup of frozen cut up pineapple and a cup of frozen cut up mango and a half organic orange slices into boiling water and increased the temp to 160F. I then added the honey and brought it up to 180F for about 15 min. In the carboy I added cool sterile spring water and added enough yeast nutrient, energizer, acid mix and pectinase for the volume. When the must honey fruit mix had cooled to 120F I added it all to the carboy and brought the volume to just over two gallons. The yeast, D47, was rehydrated in a small volume of sterile warm water for 15 minutes and added to the must which I had aerated with thorough shaking several times. I pitched the yeast at 80F.

The plan is to pasteurize the remaining fruit, about a cup of each, treat with pectinase and rack onto this at about two to three weeks fermentation.

The honey was a dark honey with a rather strong fruity flavor but a little musky too. I'm hoping I dont end up wishing I'd used orange blossom honey. We'll see.

Suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 03:11 AM   #2
DrVertebrae
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

This must either be a flop or too good to believe. No suggestions?

Old 03-14-2012, 04:06 AM   #3
Taise
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm too green to make any suggestions but I say to for at least a 1 gal batch and see what happens. Sounds like it should be good.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:17 AM   #4
Pitman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sounds like a plan. I am not sure if a cup of each fruit is enough to give you the flavor you are looking for (but adding it late in ferment might do the trick) I have never added fruit late in the fermentation like that but have read it is the way to go if you are trying for a more fruit foward mead or wine. Also, try and keep it cool if you can. That d47 likes it 70 degrees or below. The first mead I made a year ago was with d47. Opened a bottle a couple months ago and it was still pretty harsh. My house temp is always around 75. I have since switched to 71b-1122 or kv-1116 and 3 to 6 month old bottles are already starting to get fairly good. (sure they will be fantastic in a year or so)

By the way I just started a batch of mango/pineapple/peach melomel from juice I found at costco. Basicaly add two pounds of honey to 1 gal juice s.g around 1.095 and a little tannin. I did this with some mango nectar juice they had there and at 4 months in the bottle it is getting nice.

good luck

Old 03-14-2012, 12:17 PM   #5
harveydent
Recipes 

Orange blossom, prob would help but if ur racking on it as well for the up front taste, Idk. I have been reading about adding flavor in the secondary as well, I hope for updates!.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:50 PM   #6
DrVertebrae
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Yeah, I have read that fruit in the primary doesn't give quite the fruit flavor as the secondary. I have about two cups each of the pineapples and mangos frozen. I'll toss some boiling water on'em, blanch'em a bit, cool'em down and hit'em with pectinase prior to racking onto them. Then let it all sit in the secondary for a few weeks if not a few months.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:39 AM   #7
DrVertebrae
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I racked this on onto two more cups of pinapple and mango (pasteurized) with a dash of pectinase, nutriet and energizer. The bubbles were at about 3/minute and now are back up to about 7/minute. It smells great indeed.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:03 PM   #8
DrVertebrae
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

This thing is really chugging away again. Looks like I woke it up.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:29 PM   #9
harveydent
Recipes 

Awesome i hope to hear about taste soon since I hear many people find adding pineapple juice is more potent in flavor

Old 03-23-2012, 03:28 AM   #10
DrVertebrae
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Looking forward to it also. Unfortunately, it'll be a few months before I try it. But its purdy and it smells great!

Quick Reply