Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > 4 gallons mead given to me

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2011, 11:47 AM   #11
TimothyChurch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What I like to do with my meads occasionally is I will get fresh fruit and muddle it in a wine decanter and then add a bottle of plain mead. If you let that soak for 30 minutes it is fantastic. This way you can pretty much have any melomel fruit blend you want using the plain base. Plus if you have a group that enjoys sweeter wines you can sweeten the fruit with sugar since you are going to drink it and not have to worry about a second fermentation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2011, 11:50 PM   #12
divi2323
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Decided to bottle the one labeled mesquite honey mead tonight. it's a 1 gallon batch, will go into 4x 375ml bottles and 3x 750ml fancy trumpet style bottles in the bottles that he gave me. Seems like a nice elegant touch to it.

question is should I add sorbate and/or sulfite to the batch like you do with wine before bottling? I'm not planning on drinking all of this over the next year but you never know obviously. would like to think this would make a nice gift for someone and not sure if they would drink it right away or wait with it.

the last campden tablet that was put into it was in October 2008. SG reading has been 1.012 for the last 3 years on the log, so i'm thinking it's finished? does mead have a tendency to restart its fermentation and bottom out at 1.000 or below like a wine can? Hence the question of sorbate.

comments? suggestions? sulfite/sorbate or is it fine as is?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply