Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > 4 batches of mead, only two bubbling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2013, 05:35 PM   #11
MarshmallowBlue
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 56

not nesescary. Just make it out of honey and water and a bit of nutrient (just enough to help the yeast, not levels for a gallons worth). A starter is just something that allows you to pitch higher cell counts of yeast and assure viability. A big starter will go a long way in giving you a better chance of breaking that 1.140 area where yeast get stalled out above that.

Either way I can almost guarantee that that batch will be a pain all the way through.

Lifetime goal: 7,777 gallons --- gallons made 48
My Home Brew Blog
My Home-brewing Pinterest < It's a beautiful thing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2013, 07:38 PM   #12
SatiricalPuma
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

How about using about 150mL of another batch that has healthy, active yeast working right now? Maybe those brave soldiers would have a chance.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:26 PM   #13
MarshmallowBlue
Recipes 

That's essentially the same thing as a starter so If you have it than go ahead; But do something like a 8oz

My Home Brew Blog

Old 10-25-2013, 05:50 PM   #14
SatiricalPuma
Recipes 

I used about 250mL of an actively reproducing must as a starter in the problematic cranberry must last night, removed the cranberries (which I stupidly hadnt done yet), and when I woke up it was bubbling like craaaazy. Took a grav reading and it's down to 1.125 already (taking into account some dilution I did, I think the adjusted starting gravity was 1.155). Things are going well. I'll keep my eye on it and make sure to degas it until the 1/3 sugar break to keep things moving.

This just occurred to me as I was typing though...I don't want to ignore any variables here...I had my cranberries in sanitized muslin bags...could this have also been a contributing factor to the problem?

Old 10-31-2013, 04:22 PM   #15
SatiricalPuma
Recipes 

Update:

This mead started bubbling like all hell after I took the above actions (pseudo-starter from other fermenting must, diluted, raised pH with very small amount of calcium carbonate). The OG is down from about 1.155 to about 1.040 (still bubbling every 10 seconds or so), meaning I've already beaten the yeast's alcohol tolerance (I've heard 71b, while listed at 14%, can get up to 18% or so).

Tasted a hydrometer reading last night and this stuff is delicious already, though too sweet at the moment. Thanks for your help. All 4 batches are getting down to their FGs, all is well.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:44 PM   #16
dmomo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

for #4 are you staggering your nutrients? I think that's how moonlight meadery is successful with their higher gravities without creating all the harsh fusel alcohols.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:29 PM   #17
SatiricalPuma
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmomo View Post
for #4 are you staggering your nutrients? I think that's how moonlight meadery is successful with their higher gravities without creating all the harsh fusel alcohols.
Yes I actually used Michael Fairbrother's exact staggered nutrient schedule. Once I got the cranberries out of the must and got the pH up a bit with calcium carbonate, the fermentation took off and is now (3 weeks later) down to 1.035 and it tastes magnificent already. We'll see how it ages out.

I really think the pH of the cranberries was the issue, not so much the higher gravity...like you said, I think the staggered nutrient additions can help power through the high OGs....or so I'm told

Old 11-11-2013, 09:14 PM   #18
MarshmallowBlue
Recipes 

It certainly doesn't hurt

My Home Brew Blog

Quick Reply