New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > 3 Sisters and a Cousin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2008, 03:59 AM   #61
Kauai_Kahuna
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Wow, Big that does look fantastic for secondary racking.
I'll wait for the final verdict in around two years to make them, but I think I'll pull another draft of cider now.
I think I need a nice clean new glass sample holder, my current one is getting just a little messed up to where I can't really see through it anymore.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2009, 08:09 PM   #62
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quick Update.
Bottled the first and third sisters! W00T!
The third was the first into bottles 447 days since brew day, and significantly over gingered, I ended up with 11 750ml bottles and 2 375's. I taste tested at bottling and added a tad bit of acid blend, it just smoothed out the ginger flavor of the Peach Ginger mead.
Next up was the strawberry. It has been a fun one to watch. It has had every flavor and aroma profile since fruit was added. It has been plastickey, Pasty, Fruity, funky, Nasty...now it's just awesome! Fruit flavor comes full steam and the honey profile is a nice balance.
I used a keg to bottle, just because it's easier than using a bottling bucket, and took my same 13 bottles as with the third sister, but there was some left! MEAD ON TAP!
I left it in the keg, and had Strawberry mead on tap for about 36 hours....3 glasses and blown, but I had it. It was so nice to have mead on tap, I am experimenting with some low gravity blackberry meads to see if I can produce a drinkable product quickly enough to have on tap.
The Blueberry cousin will bottle next, then finally the plum. Unfortunately, the plum lost much volume due to my blending the plums into sludge that took up 4" at the bottom of the carboy...Oh Well...Quality not quantity!

Keeping fingers crossed, It looks like I may have 4 super successful meads before this is all finished...and I was actually expecting to have some failures.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:35 PM   #63
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3451

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKahuna View Post
Quick Update.
Bottled the first and third sisters! W00T!
The third was the first into bottles 447 days since brew day, and significantly over gingered, I ended up with 11 750ml bottles and 2 375's. I taste tested at bottling and added a tad bit of acid blend, it just smoothed out the ginger flavor of the Peach Ginger mead.
Next up was the strawberry. It has been a fun one to watch. It has had every flavor and aroma profile since fruit was added. It has been plastickey, Pasty, Fruity, funky, Nasty...now it's just awesome! Fruit flavor comes full steam and the honey profile is a nice balance.
I used a keg to bottle, just because it's easier than using a bottling bucket, and took my same 13 bottles as with the third sister, but there was some left! MEAD ON TAP!
I left it in the keg, and had Strawberry mead on tap for about 36 hours....3 glasses and blown, but I had it. It was so nice to have mead on tap, I am experimenting with some low gravity blackberry meads to see if I can produce a drinkable product quickly enough to have on tap.
The Blueberry cousin will bottle next, then finally the plum. Unfortunately, the plum lost much volume due to my blending the plums into sludge that took up 4" at the bottom of the carboy...Oh Well...Quality not quantity!

Keeping fingers crossed, It looks like I may have 4 super successful meads before this is all finished...and I was actually expecting to have some failures.
I used to have this friend named Bigkahuna, who we used to get into online trouble together on HBT, and mostly have great conversations...but one day he got all important and went away to the land of twitter and newspapers and left his little buddy Revvy behind.....*pout*

Miss you buddy!

Some of us think twitter is evil...but are on facebook....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-31-2009, 05:42 AM   #64
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Jesus Chirst! its BK

GET IN THE CAR!

Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Old 08-31-2009, 09:45 PM   #65
nealf
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKahuna View Post
I am experimenting with some low gravity blackberry meads to see if I can produce a drinkable product quickly enough to have on tap.
Basic Brewing had a radio episode recently and I believe they discussed something along these lines. It was a Mead Panel from NHC if I recall correctly. Having mead on tap sounds like a wonderfully terrible idea!

Old 09-03-2009, 03:51 AM   #66
BigKahuna

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealf View Post
Basic Brewing had a radio episode recently and I believe they discussed something along these lines. It was a Mead Panel from NHC if I recall correctly. Having mead on tap sounds like a wonderfully terrible idea!
That is what prompted my Blackberry mead. Prost to James Spencer and Basic Brewing Radio...not to mention Charlie P and everyone at the NHC!

Old 09-03-2009, 03:56 AM   #67
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Liked 5734 Times on 5100 Posts
Likes Given: 569

welcome back BK! we all missed you (well, at least me and revvy)

Quick Reply