Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > 2nd mead - wanting to try ginger

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013, 02:10 PM   #21
liquiditynerd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 17

So, on one note, I do the entire batch cold. I might warm the honey by putting the jar in warm water but that's it.

On the other note, one persons taste buds are different. Damn my notes just say ginger. I made that right after the foreclosure so the scale must have been packed. I bought a pound for two bucks or something and I think I used 4 oz. I did two batches, one was ginger/cider the other ginger/white grape. I usually do the one gallons to see what I think of it.

Anyway, good luck!

....just add water.....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2013, 01:47 PM   #22
DaleGC
Recipes 

Thank you very much. I took the plunge last night and its off.

3.5lb wild forest honey.
Orange Zest
6oz ginger, boiled for 30 mins in 1 litre if water
25 raisins
Tronozymol 3 teaspoons
Lalvin k1v1116 (rehydrated)

SG 1.100

It smells amazing, the ginger tea alone smelled brilliant. I've tasted the honey and its sweet and flavoursome and it's been topped to 4.5 litres.

This was only done last night and there was very little kreusen this morning but when I get home I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Thanks again everyone for their help. I'll keep posting any updates.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:57 PM   #23
DaleGC
Recipes 

Nice and bubbly now. Airlock going every 30-40 seconds and a clearly visible foam. I'm very pleased with how it's gone so far so now to look ahead.

I am looking to move to a secondary eventually but I was wondering what the consensus is on that. The most common theory I seem to have found is to wait until it clears (then maybe a bit longer) then to the secondary. Primary for brewing secondary for ageing type of idea.

I was also wondering what the view is regarding tracking the SG and how to make sure fermentation has finished. I was considering taking the reading fortnightly but didn't want to be disturbing it too much.

Finally, I only have this filled up to 4.5 litres, when do I 'top it up'?

Any advice, as always, will be a massive help and massively appreciated.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:14 AM   #24
liquiditynerd
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Good deal Dale. You could prolly wait for top off if you are going to secondary. You'll have plenty of co2 in the primary to displace any o2. For the other question on secondary, I don't really mind the SG although I like it a little higher than my final target. I find that the transfer to secondary stirs things up and reintroduces small amounts of O2 so I like to let the yeasts have their way.

I know this isn't much help but I watch to see when the ginger ( enter preference here) starts to sink. 6 oz huh, interesting.......

....just add water.....

Old 02-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #25
DaleGC
Recipes 

Yes, it has me intrigued as well ha ha.

Thanks for the advice, that sounds good to me.

The next question is probably quite a simple on (I justify this with inexperience again ) but by doing some research, it turns out with the OG I had (1.100) , it's unlikely my mead will be much stronger than 13.5-14%. Can I increase the honey levels at the minute to increase the final ABV or is it better to leave it as it is and accept the values for what they are.

I was also hoping for a FG of higher than 1.000 to keep it sweet. Is this better achieved by backsweetening?

Old 02-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #26
WVMJ
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

You can step feed it more honey, wait until it drops to about 1.01 and add enough honey to raise it to 1.02, when that get eaten raise it again, little steps are better than big steps, when it finally cant eat anymore you can adjust it to where you want and let it clear. WVMJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleGC View Post
Yes, it has me intrigued as well ha ha.

Thanks for the advice, that sounds good to me.

The next question is probably quite a simple on (I justify this with inexperience again ) but by doing some research, it turns out with the OG I had (1.100) , it's unlikely my mead will be much stronger than 13.5-14%. Can I increase the honey levels at the minute to increase the final ABV or is it better to leave it as it is and accept the values for what they are.

I was also hoping for a FG of higher than 1.000 to keep it sweet. Is this better achieved by backsweetening?

Old 02-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #27
DaleGC
Recipes 

Thanks very much. So that could be used for sweetness and alcohol levels? If so, how would I then measure this? I only know of the basic calculation to work out ABV.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:17 PM   #28
DaleGC
Recipes 

I have been reading around and it seems one of the best options when trying to calculate the 'new OG' to use trying to work out the final gravity would be to add the additional gravity to the 'OG' at the time of the final calculation.

For example, in my case, I have a starting gravity of 1.100. When I add the additional honey when it drops (1.001 up to 1.002 etc) I will add the same amount to the initial gravity when doing the calculation. In this case, should I increase the gravity from 1.001 to 1.002 ten times, this will require an increase to the OG of 10 meaning mine would increase to 1.110 when doing the calculation. This is due to the gravity representing a change from sugar to alcohol.

Apologies for making what is probably a simple idea into something far more complicated ha ha. If I've made any mistakes with this, please let me know, as I say I'm using the information from elsewhere and may have filled in a few gaps myself.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:00 PM   #29
gayleygoo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I love this site:

http://www.paynesbeefarm.co.uk/honey-in-bulk/

As I'm in N.Ireland the postage rates would work out a little too expensive for me, so my meads have been made with cheapy honey (Lidl blossom honey), but once they've fermented I use a nice honey to backsweeten. I hope the flavour of the better honey will come through! Most supermarkets have a small varietal honey selection, or farm shops etc should have good ones

Old 02-25-2013, 06:12 AM   #30
DaleGC
Recipes 

Thanks for the post gayleygoo. I think I know where I'll be going next time I'm staring a batch off. The prices seem much more reasonable than the supermarket ones and it looks like a better variety as well

Quick Reply