The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > 2012 Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2009, 09:12 PM   #1
Confucius
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 2012 Mead

I'm a big fan of special drinks for special occasions, and what better occasion than the end of the world? Okay, so I don't actually think anything is going to happen, but on the off chance it does, it would be nice to sit on the porch, drinking some mead, and watching the light show. If nothing happens, I have Christmas presents.

So, I've been thinking about what would be a good mead to make. I'm thinking fairly dry since it has some time to age. Anyways, here is what I'm thinking, any comments, or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Per Gallon (not sure about how much I want to make):
Three pounds honey (I'm thinking clover, any suggestions?)
Eight ounces dried cherries
Zest of an orange
A vanilla bean or two
Champagne yeast
Yeast nutrients & energizer
Water to one gallon

After primary I plan to rack into a secondary with some toasted oak for a month or so, and then into bottles to age.

Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2009, 11:41 PM   #2
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5980 Times on 5251 Posts
Likes Given: 671

For such a super occassion I'd use a honey of higher quality that clover (maybe orange blossom?)

also, what's your goal with the cherries? 8 oz. of dried may be too little....

I'm with ya, I'll get a 12/10/12 apocolypic mead going soon when I bottle one of my meads soon....

Old 05-04-2009, 11:49 PM   #3
armorshell
Recipes 

Did I miss something? What happens in 2012? Nuclear meltdown? Aztec calender runs down? Dogs and cats living together?

Old 05-04-2009, 11:54 PM   #4
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorshell View Post
Did I miss something? What happens in 2012? Nuclear meltdown? Aztec calender runs down? Dogs and cats living together?
I believe in 2012 the aztec calendar ends, as well as several other prophetic predictions of the end of the world.

Edit: Oh yeah, I seem to remember it also being a time when the moon and sun and center of the milky way all line up or something. Supposed to be bad news!

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 05-05-2009, 12:01 AM   #5
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 680 Times on 483 Posts
Likes Given: 1674

TEOTWAWKI mead, interesting idea. Think maybe something should go into the recipe that would be related to the ancient Aztec culture that spawned the end date of 2012? Maybe a specific variety of honey from that region, or some type of fruit or spice? Mexican worm (caterpillar) maybe? Maybe this could be a group brew, like the leap year mead. Regards, GF.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:31 AM   #6
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I think aztec I think good dark bitter chocolate, if it's something you like you could try to incorporate that in.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:39 AM   #7
Confucius
Recipes 

Hmm, all good ideas. It looks like Avocado and Orange Blossom honey are both fairly common Mexican honeys. And I do like the chocolate idea, any ideas on whether it would be better to use powder or cocoa nibs? Probably nibs for ease of racking...

So maybe a Avocado (apparently tastes buttery) honey / cocoa nib mead, maybe with some peppers in there.

The cherries, well the cherries are mostly because I like cherries, but I suppose I could up the cherries and use this recipe for a different occasion.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:48 AM   #8
Thromgar
Recipes 

I would say if you are looking for traditional Aztec or Mayan flavors you should consider spiced chocolate. Traditional flavors would be things like peppers, ginger or cinnamon. Cocoa powder would be moderately hard to work with, but the nibs might not give you the same kind of flavor profile you are looking for.

One thing to think about is how sweet your mead is going to be. If you make a really dry mead the cocoa might overpower it with bitterness. Seems like you will have to really balance the cocoa flavor profile with the sweetness of the mead. On the whole it could be a great project, though it seems pretty complicated as far as the flavors go.

A book I would recommend that has a lot of info on traditional chocolate is called The New Taste of Chocolate: A Cultural and Natural History of Cacao with Recipes by Maricel E. Presilla. The book has a lot of info on cocoa and multiple ways to use it and/or process the raw beans, nibs or how use the finished commercially available chocolate.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:43 AM   #9
digdan

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Given the amount of time for aging, and the circumstances with archaic civilizations lack of extreme foresight, I would create a sack mead. Get the most alcohol you can out of your mead.

Just drop a bunch of nutrients and champagne yeast into 5 gallons of pure honey

Old 05-05-2009, 06:28 AM   #10
JarrodH
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am in for a group brew if we decide on a great brew.

Quick Reply