New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > 15 Gallon Mead Batch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2007, 06:03 PM   #11
PsiWulf7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Just out of curiosity, what was your $ on the sam's club honey? That might have to be my new source. My buddies and I use 5 or so pounds per gallon, so you're mead sounds like it may be on the light side. We like a really strong, sweet mead, so it may well end up perfect.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2007, 07:25 PM   #12
gyrfalcon
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsiWulf7
Just out of curiosity, what was your $ on the sam's club honey? That might have to be my new source. My buddies and I use 5 or so pounds per gallon, so you're mead sounds like it may be on the light side. We like a really strong, sweet mead, so it may well end up perfect.
It was right around $9 per 5 pound bottle... Then I paid $35 for 12lbs of California sage honey.

What sort of OG do you end up with using 5lbs per gallon?

Primary E: Effel 07 (Blue Wine) Bottling: BrewFrick Panty Dropper Mod. (Clover Hoof)
Drinking: Schells Beer
Planning: Octane I.P.A.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:28 AM   #13
PsiWulf7
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyrfalcon
It was right around $9 per 5 pound bottle... Then I paid $35 for 12lbs of California sage honey.

What sort of OG do you end up with using 5lbs per gallon?
I don't remember precisely. It was higher than 1.15, I think, because it beat out another brew we'd made a week or so previous. It came out sweet as candy, and we actually ended up cutting it with a 5 gallon barrel of scotch that we got from a friend in the industry, and the result was spectacular. Ever since they've been making it in 3 gallon batches and mixing it with scotch, rebottling, and aging.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:52 PM   #14
gyrfalcon
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So it's been a bit over 2 months in the primary and I was wondering if I should rack this to 5 gallon carboys?

I planned to have one batch be plain, and the other two be melomel's of some type.

Is this still possible??? I'm fine letting it just sit too, as I don't want to wreck 15 gallons.

Primary E: Effel 07 (Blue Wine) Bottling: BrewFrick Panty Dropper Mod. (Clover Hoof)

Old 12-07-2007, 04:21 AM   #15
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

This is based solely on my own research, but I would say that's an excellent idea! I say rack into three 5 gallon secondaries, one that is empty and two that have fruit in them (preferably two different fruits) so that in the end you have three sets of great mead of different flavor. I say that would be perfect for a large group setting like a wedding, providing something for plenty. Oh and it seems it is best to rack onto fruit in secondary to impart a greater fruit flavor anyways, so it comes out perfect for you!

Old 12-07-2007, 07:29 PM   #16
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

another question, where do you get a 15 gallon carboy?

Last edited by z987k; 12-07-2007 at 07:36 PM.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:28 PM   #17
gyrfalcon
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by z987k
another question, where do you get a 15 gallon carboy?
They're called Demi-Johns normally...

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=4228

Old 01-08-2008, 07:08 PM   #18
PsiWulf7
Recipes 

Default Local Honey!!!

As a novice beekeeper and longtime local honey fan, I can honestly say that the best deal you can get on honey is through local apiaries and beekeeper's associations. You can get 55 to 60 pound pails of raw, local honey starting around $90 and moving on up to around $150. Take a trip to the apiary and save on shipping.

Local honey is often much more flavorful, and available raw and organically produced (no chemicals used in medicating or subduing the bees). The commercial stuff you get at Sam's is pasteurized and filtered to death, and the flavor leaves a lot to be desired.

From experience, the mead you get when you use raw, local stuff has a full textured flavor that I've just never gotten out of the nationwide megabrands.

Old 01-13-2008, 01:18 AM   #19
gyrfalcon
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsiWulf7
From experience, the mead you get when you use raw, local stuff has a full textured flavor that I've just never gotten out of the nationwide megabrands.
Thanks for the advice... I'll definitely look for someone I can buy it from local next time around!

Old 01-13-2008, 01:19 AM   #20
gyrfalcon
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

In a little over 3 months the gravity of this mead has fallen from 1.110 to 1.032 and it has a PH of 4.

I have three 5 gallon carboys that I wanted rack the mead into. My plan was to have one carboy be plain, the other have raspberry & strawberry added to it... then the third one have blueberry & blackberries.

I currently have 2lbs of blueberries, 2lbs of blackberries, 2lbs of raspberries, and 2lbs of strawberries.

On advice I've read elsewhere I've frozen the fruit to break up their cell walls

Should I add honey to the plain mead?
Should all three of the carboys have yeast nutrient added to them?
Should I re-pitch yeast?
How would you prep the fruit?

Basically I'm hoping someone could give me some advice on how they would proceed from where I'm at now.

Thanks!

Quick Reply