New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > 1 gallon batch= BAD IDEA.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2008, 03:17 AM   #1
BigKahuna
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default 1 gallon batch= BAD IDEA.

When I first started this mead thing, I royally screwed up a 3 gallon batch...before I found HBT.
Then I decided to try a 1 gallon batch...just in case.
I have been making a lot of 1 gallon batches...cause it's cost effective, and lots of fun.
Tonight I try that first bottle from the original 1 gallon batch that yielded 3 regular 750 bottles and 3 little 375ml. This stuff is awesome. Right? Except for the 1 750 bottle I gave away, and the little one I have open now...that leaves me with 2 of each siZe. NOT NEARLY ENOUGH. For the time involved in waiting for a mead and the cost of a 3 gallon fermentor with lid from Home Brew Heaven...I'm not making less than 3 gallons any more.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2008, 03:22 AM   #2
BuffaloSabresBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Live and learn man.

Single male seeks double-jointed supermodel who owns a brewery and grows her own pot. Access to free concert tickets a plus!

Old 04-12-2008, 01:15 PM   #3
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

Liked 3850 Times on 2813 Posts
Likes Given: 640

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKahuna
When I first started this mead thing, I royally screwed up a 3 gallon batch...before I found HBT.
I have been making a lot of 1 gallon batches...cause it's cost effective, and lots of fun.
Tonight I try that first bottle from the original 1 gallon batch that yielded 3 regular 750 bottles and 3 little 375ml. This stuff is awesome. Right? Except for the 1 750 bottle I gave away, and the little one I have open now...that leaves me with 2 of each siZe. NOT NEARLY ENOUGH. For the time involved in waiting for a mead and the cost of a 3 gallon fermentor with lid from Home Brew Heaven...I'm not making less than 3 gallons any more.
Well, then it's time to post some of those mead recipes in the database- I'd try the cinnamon apple mead if that's one of the good ones! I don't make mead often (it's not really my thing) but on a cold winter night, an after dinner glass of mead is warming and romantic.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:19 PM   #4
Poindexter

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have a one gallon "drink as I go" batch that is sort of becoming the braggot I want to have gallons of someday.

FWIW be REAL careful dryhopping a mead.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:49 PM   #5
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I know what you mean. with mead now, the smallest batch I do is 2.5 gallons (I have two 2.5gal carboys, and a 3gal carboy plus two 5 gal ones).

1 gal is rough for a drink that could take a year to hit peak flavor...all your bi-monthly samples would be long gone after a year.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 04-15-2008, 11:01 PM   #6
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

We figure that it takes the same amount of time to do 1 gallon as 1000 so why not make a lot?

Old 04-27-2008, 04:11 AM   #7
BigKahuna

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Posted Recipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew
Well, then it's time to post some of those mead recipes in the database- I'd try the cinnamon apple mead if that's one of the good ones! I don't make mead often (it's not really my thing) but on a cold winter night, an after dinner glass of mead is warming and romantic.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=64034
POSTED!
I would call it very interesting. I will do this again, but I think I'll call it a cyser next time. I have one with Apple Juice, but it's not quite as good.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:17 PM   #8
User_05_28_08
Recipes 

Interesting point of view.

All I make is mead, and I love to use 1 gallon batches. They are really handy for experimenting with new flavors, and they take up less space.

I always have at least 2 5 or 6 gallon batches going at any given time... but I make a new 1 gallon batch quite frequently... that way, if I make enough, I don't have to worry about running out too soon.

Old 06-14-2008, 04:07 AM   #9
html034

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKahuna View Post
So lemme get this straight,

ur problem is that ur mead is too good.

**** you

that is all

"I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them."
Baruch Spinoza

Old 06-15-2008, 08:57 PM   #10
Nerro
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

1 gal is good for try outs tho.

"It has served us well, this myth of [guess who]."
- Pope Leo X

Quick Reply