Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk Forums > Introductions > Ready to Brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
DonSmitty
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Ready to Brew

I brewed my first batch about 40 years ago. I wasn't impressed with my results so the home-brew hobby didn't last. That changed last week when my son and I brewed a 5gal ale at a local brew hobby shop. As this first batch is fermenting (we bottle on Thursday), we are ready to jump in and get another one going. That mean buying the equipment and ingredients. We have a couple local home brew shops for supplies that are 15-20 minutes away but I'm thinking they are kind of pricy. I'd be interested to find where most of you get your supplies from (local, internet, etc.). I'm just getting started reading the forum as well. Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 07:37 PM   #2
ETCS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Personally I use midwestsupplies.com or northernbrewer.com, although Northern Brewer stopped the $7.99 flat rate shipping.

Brewers make wort, Yeast make beer!!!!

Old 02-24-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
DonSmitty
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETCS View Post
Personally I use midwestsupplies.com or northernbrewer.com, although Northern Brewer stopped the $7.99 flat rate shipping.
Thanks Neighbor!

Old 02-24-2013, 02:31 PM   #4
ThaBrewFather06
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

I got a "starter" kit from my local supply store for 110$ with two 8 gallon fermenting buckets, one lid, one air lock, a two handed bottle capper, 110 bottle caps, a mash spoon, and a grain bag. I think that's a pretty good deal, my LHBS also gives 20% off your first recipe if you purchase the kit so I got all ingredients and bottles for my entire batch for around 200$. I would rather support my LHBS than order online since I can always run there and buy something I've forgotten or need without having to pay shipping. Also most LHBS employees actually brew beer and can give you pointers if you call and ask.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #5
Cyclman
I Sell Koalas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 450 Times on 392 Posts
Likes Given: 144

I would recommend buying your kit from the LHBS, even if you spend a little more. They will be able to help you in a pinch, my local guys kept the store open for me late when I desparately needed a 2nd blowoff tube for my 1st 10g batch.

Of course, I have an awesome LHBS, the Brew Hut- if youre's isn't so helpful, MoreBeer, NB, MW are all great.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing!

Old 02-25-2013, 12:41 AM   #6
DonSmitty
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks TheBrewFather06 and Cyclman. I ended up buying half my equipment/supplies from my local wine and brew hobby store and half from Bells & Morebeer. Brewed a DIPA (Pliny clone) that is now in the primary. Will dry hop in another week. Thanks again for the info.

Quick Reply