Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk Forums > Introductions > Newbie in SF & Teaching Women to Brew!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2012, 09:32 PM   #1
mamajack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Default Newbie in SF & Teaching Women to Brew!

Hi All,

I'm a former pro baker living in San Francisco and have been doing country (fruit) wines & meads since 2007 and just started brewing beer last year. I quickly came to love it - the community is so friendly & helpful and everyone so down to earth. I love the science too, and how it balances with art, just like serious baking!

I started immediately doing all-grain BIAB tabletop (because i already had some equipment & experience from wines), and now i am on my 5th batch or so. I've read Palmer's 'How To Brew' and i am now doing all my own calcs (pen & paper - i like to understand things before i have a computer do them & will probably write my own spreadsheet software to do calcs). Now I am reading Daniels' 'Designing Great Beers.' I work up my own recipes and am having a blast! These forums are hands down the best resource ever. I have found them so useful that i finally joined after lurking for a while.

Recently, because of my own experience being one of the few females in the room, I decided to start helping other female amateur brewer wannabes to brew their own all-grain beers. A lot of women are intimidated by all the jargon & equipment they don't understand, plus they are often the minority by far in the room at brew events and are afraid to brew on their own. Plus, we're usually smaller and not as strong, and we might live in small apartments, so we have to do smaller batches scaled to our size if we brew alone. So i am starting a group and doing small, friendly demos/classes to help folks lose the intimatidation and get started. Then we/they can go into brewing forums and events without fear of looking ignorant and really get something out of it!

I follow brewing news in a general way around the country - nice to make your acquaintance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 09:44 PM   #2
KevinW
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Welcome to the forum (officially)!

It saddens me that women would feel intimidated or made to feel intimidated. I would have thought that all of us male homebrewers would be able to drop our "egos" and just treat all homebrewers as equals. I have seen at many events where women get "pushed aside".

Kudos to you and I wish you great success in expanding the knowledge, confidence, and hopefully the numbers of women brewers!

“I don't drink beer all the time but I can drink (a) beer anytime" - Me

Old 10-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #3
Subsailor
Life is Tough, Stupid makes it Tougher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 508 Times on 328 Posts
Likes Given: 3705

Welcome and Outstanding! I wish you much continued success! there are some mighty good and knowledgeable woman brewers here. Brew on Sister!

SSBN 641 B

Old 10-22-2012, 11:01 PM   #4
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 984 Times on 692 Posts
Likes Given: 2053

Welcome. One of the cool things about our homebrew club is that there is a good contingent of women members.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:13 PM   #5
mamajack
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Thanks guys! I think we're going to get a little core of good female beginning brewers going here - and we'll be able to participate more effectively in our own homebrew circles. I am a member of the SF Homebrewer's Guild, which got off the ground at the beginning of the year, and am just getting started with them. I also notice there are a lot of women who love to bake (men too, obviously) but they have never thought about brewing.

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]Cheers, Mamajack
"Law of Cat Thermodynamics: Heat flows from a warmer to a cooler body, except in the case of a cat, in which case all heat flows to the cat."
[COLOR="Black"]

Old 10-31-2012, 07:13 PM   #6
MartiMcFu
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

welcome! where abouts in San Fran are you from?

Old 10-31-2012, 07:51 PM   #7
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 248 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Welcome to the world of liquid baking Nice job with the mentoring, a great idea!

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Quick Reply