I guess its time (upland, CA)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naemlss

Reaction score
I guess it is time for me to introduce myself. The names nico, and I have brewed a few batches so far. I have mainly stayed quiet on here and just read as much as I could. It seems to me most people as the same questions that I have already had. With due diligence and a little patience I was able to find all the answers I need somewhere.

My brewing situation is at 6 batches so far, with 3 turning out phenomenal and three turning out horrible. The 3 and 4th batch that I made we are fairly certain we had some form of infection in between secondary and bottling. Tasted great coming out of secondary, but after 1 week in the bottle there was massive amounts of sediment in the bottom of the bottles, bottle bombs on some of them, and a medicinal/ off taste to the two different brews. Both brews were brewed transfered to primary for 12 days 2 weeks in secondary and bottled at the same time.

The 3rd brew that was not that great we thing was due to the SWOMB. She decided to do me a "favor", and soaked my fermentors in a bleach solution over night to sanitize them. The thing is with the two brews I brewed at the same time again one had a definite chlorine flavor to it, and the other didn't. My friends drank about a 6 pack of the chlorine beer and named it summer pool ale. :ban:

I am down to brew with anybody in the area.

p.s. Any ideas or recommendations are more than welcome, if not requested.

Try cold crashing for about a week before you bottle, that should cut down on the sediment problem. You might try cutting out transferring to the secondary and go straight to bottling, unless doing an IPA or something like that.....the less your fermented wort has to move the better.

So should I leave my beer in primary for a 2-3 week period and just go straight to bottle. Or just wait for the krausen to drop and immediately bottle.

3 of the batches I have done have been forms of IPA

3+ weeks in primary (Or at least 3-4 days after stable FG numbers) is the general rule of thumb for average-gravity beers. This lets the yeast clean up after themselves, getting rid of some off flavors. With advancing yeast technology, there isn't a problem with leaving the beer on the yeast for extended periods of time. Plenty of people go a month in primary, and sometimes life dictates that they stay there much longer. It's not a problem. The more patient you can be, the better your beer will be.

i concur, 2-3 weeks in primary is fine, just make sure you keep your wort at the correct temperature. Check the gravity numbers and that they aren't still moving, when they have finished dropping, throw it in the fridge to cold crash all the yeast to the bottom, then bottle or keg.

Sounds good to me... If I follow this advice I have three fermentation chambers that I I could use for my beers. I mainly transferred to secondary to avoid air seeping through my better bottles. How long does it really take for that to happen?

Years. A better bottle isn't like a regular plastic bucket, it is designed out of magic plastics especially for home brewers.

Back